Campaign to keep Wexford looking pristine is launched
Published 22/06/2016 | 00:00
Wexford County Council launched their annual Keep Wexford Beautiful competition in a campaign to recognise the huge amount of voluntary work being done to keep the county looking pristine.
Chairperson of Wexford County Council Cllr Tony Dempsey said 'the aim of the competition is to encourage everyone to get involved in their local community and in doing so help keep Wexford beautiful'.
'The competition is about recognising the huge voluntary work that is carried out by community groups, resident associations, youth groups and individuals who take action, large or small, to improve their local environment and help make their communities better places to live, work and visit.'
'This competition encourages people to think and act locally on a range of environmental issues such as waste prevention, accessibility, biodiversity and heritage preservation. 2016 is an important year as it marks the 40th anniversary of the competition,' he said.
Application forms for the 2016 Keep Wexford Beautiful Competition are now available from the Environment Section, Wexford County Council, Carricklawn, Wexford.
The success of the Keep Wexford Beautiful Campaign depends on community involvement. Winners of the competition will be awarded at the Annual Environment Awards Ceremony to be held in November. The overall winner in 2015 was Kilanerin Tidy Towns.
* Best Environmentally Aware and Presented Housing Estate
* Best Environmentally Aware and Presented Town or Village
* Best Community Environment Initiative
* Best Heritage, Preservation and Conservation Project
* Best Community Coastal Management Initiative
* Best New Entry
* Best Community Project to Improve Accessibility in Gardens/Parks.
* Best Community Project to Improve Accessibility to Infrastructure.
* Best Community Biodiversity Project
* Best Community Project that Tackles and Reduces the Impacts of Climate Change
* Best Community Waste Prevention Project
* Best Community Reuse Project
Closing dates for applications is Friday, July 1.