Rare FCA company pennant presented to Wexford Barracks
A RARE company pennant dating back to just after the 1947 Emergency has been presented to Wexford Barracks by a former member of the FCA.
Dermot Fitzgerald, from Gobbinstown, presented the Barracks with the A Company 'Rathgarogue Centre', New Ross An Forsa Cosanta Aitiuil (FCA) Battalion Company Pennant from 1947.
Mr Fitzgerald was a proud member of the FCA in Rathgarogue and served under Captain Jim (The Moat) Murphy.
This is a very rare piece of Wexford history from a time just after the Emergency when there was over 110,000 members in the FCA and they were in every parish of the county. County Wexford had three FCA Battalions, the Wexford Bn, New Ross Bn and North Wexford Bn. Each of these Battalions comprised of five Companies based in rural Areas. The New Ross Bn had centres in Rathgarogue, Caim, Cushinstown, Campile with the Headquarters in New Ross. In 1957 the Wexford Bn, New Ross Bn and North Wexford Bn became A, B and C Companies of the 10th FCA Battalion. An Forsa Cosanta Aitiuil was stood down in 2006.
The present incarnation of the part-time soldier in the county is the Army Reserve which are now integrated which is part of Permanent Defence Force Battalions as a single force. County Wexford is home to E Company of the 3rd Infantry Battalion and is headquartered in Wexford Army Barracks.
OC, Comdt Enda McDonald, along with members of E Coy 3 INF BN expressed his sincerest thanks to Mr. Fitzgerald for protecting this piece of Wexford's military heritage.
He said the pennant will be protected and put on display in Wexford Barracks as a reminder to future generations of both Permanent & Reserve members of the Defence Forces of Country Wexford's proud military history.
The pennant can also be seen as part of the 1947 New Ross Parade on YouTube (at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyx-urR711g).