Bees and trees at risk from toxic chemical
Published 22/09/2015 | 00:00
A motion calling for the suspension of the use of cypermethrin in Coillte sites around the county due to concerns regarding its toxicity to bees was debated at the meeting.
Cllr Deirdre Wadding brought the motion, calling for a full and transparent investigation into the effects of its uses and to suspend such use until the findings are known.
Cllr Wadding said the chemical targets pine weevil but is toxic to fish as there is a dangerous run off effect. She said it is also toxic to bees.
'The whole ecological system is dependent on the bees. I would like to see us lead the way on this,' she said.
Cllr Davy Hynes seconded the motion, but Cllr Paddy Kavanagh expressed concern about the motion's wording saying the local authority does not use it.
Director of Services John Carley confirmed this, adding that the council can't ban the use of cypermethrin on private lands as it would be the subject of claims.