Community generosity alive and well as house gutted by fire restored
Published 11/06/2016 | 00:00
A GOREY woman whose uninsured house was gutted by fire almost twelve weeks ago has had her house fully restored through the generosity of kind friends, tradesmen and local businesses.
Agnes Murphy, who has lived in 19 Allenwood Drive since it was built in 1975, raised her four children in the house with her late husband Michael who passed away in 1996.
The fire which started at 3 p.m. in the afternoon of March 18, was caused by a power surge which caused the TV, left on standby, to explode in the kitchen.
Her son Anthony who works in local company Silawrap, said he had slept at his mother's house after doing a night shift, and was in the shower when he heard an explosion down stairs which he thought was children playing.
'My mother was in hospital that day and so thankfully wasn't there when it happened, so I really want to thank all our neighbours for acting so quickly especially Peter Finn who saw the smoke coming out the back of the house and called the fire brigade,' he said.
Anthony who escaped from the blaze unscathed said when he raced downstairs he opened the kitchen door and the flames went over his head.
'The whole kitchen was a furnace in less than three minutes,' he said.
The strong community spirit in that area of Gorey saw local businesses and tradesmen rally around the well respected family once the news emerged that house had no insurance.
'You don't know what friends you have until something like this happens and we are very grateful for all the amazing support we have received,' he added.
K&K Windows replaced the windows in the house free of charge. LDS Security re-wired the entire house for free.
A-Z Cleaners cleaned the fire damaged home from top to bottom.
Slabber Rob Lacey insulated the walls and ceilings, while father and son team John and Arthur Sheridan plastered the house for free.
Stephen 'Bro' Kennedy painted the house for no fee.
Agnes who is now staying in her daughter Jacqueline's house will be able to move back to her own safe and insured home in the coming weeks.