Dun Mhuire evacuated during performance of 'Hairspray'
five hundred theatre-goers, among them elderly people and children, watching Oyster Lane's smash production of 'Hairspray' were evacuated from the Dun Mhuire on Sunday after a fire alarm was activated, apparently by a fog-producing dry ice machine.
Members of the audience were allowed back into the theatre after a 10-minute break.
'The source was quickly identified and the situation was deemed to be a false alarm. The Dun Mhuire Safety Officer then gave clearance to return to the building and all returned safely,' said Oyster Lane's chairperson Jamie Doyle.
She said that the evacuation was carried out 'quickly and efficiently with everyone assembling at the designated assembly points'.
A member of the audience told this newspaper that the first anyone knew that there was a potential problem was when the fire alam sounded.
'People didn't know whether to evacuate or not and then the ushers told everyone to leave and we were evacuated into the car park.'
The woman said one of the actresses said there had been a problem with some dry ice that was being used to produce 'fog' although there was no sign of any 'fog' or 'smoke' in the auditorium when the alarm being sounded.
Jamie said there were about 500 people were in the theatre at the time. 'Hairspray' proved a great hit in the town with most performances sold out.