Elderly men lose their home following tragic ten hour thatch blaze in Cleariestown
Published 21/01/2016 | 00:00
Two elderly men were left homeless after a devastating fire engulfed their thatched cottage in Cleariestown and destroyed everything within it.
The men were quickly evacuated from their home by family members and managed to escape unharmed when the blaze broke out last Wednesday evening. Two units of Wexford Fire Services and a water tanker unit attended the scene at 6.20 p.m. to battle the flames, which were not fully extinguished until 4.20 a.m. the following morning. However, despite almost 10 hours of efforts from four pairs of firefighters, the home was completely gutted by the fire.
The cause of the devastasting fire has yet to be confirmed. However, according to a spokesperson for Wexford Fire Services, it is highly likely that a leak in the chimney flue heated a rafter in the roof and ignited the thatched roof.
They said that the roof may have been smouldering for several hours before the anyone was aware of the problem.
Two units of Wexford Fire Services backed up by a water tanker returned to the scene the following Thursday afternoon to ensure that the fire could not rekindle.