Lack of secondary school places is examined

By Esther Hayden

Published 08/12/2015 | 00:00

The principals of all five Wexford town secondary schools met with Minister Brendan Howlin and Cllr George Lawlor last week to address the growing crisis of school places.

Cllr Lawlor said the aim of the meeting was to get a clearer picture of the extent of the crisis in the short, medium and long term with a particular focus on the lack of places for the coming school year.

He said that all five secondary schools will be liaising with the Department of Education within days regarding both the lists of places they have offered and their waiting lists. This should give an accurate reflection of the exact number of students looking to be educated in the town's five secondary schools this September.

It is hoped that this list will be completed early in the New Year which will allow the principals to engage with both the Department of Education and Minister Jan O'Sullivan in an effort to bring about a resolution to the problem. 'It will be a long and hard road', said Cllr Lawlor 'but hopefully something can be done before the start of the new school year.'

Meanwhile a new non political pressure group of parents concerned about the problem has been established by solicitor Lisa McDonald.

The new group will hold a public meeting in the Talbot Hotel on December 16 at 8pm.'The shortage of places and the uncertainty of a student's position is entirely unacceptable and nobody is speaking directly to all parents and guardians. Our aim is to start the conversation to drive matters to finding a solution.'

Wexford People

Read More

Most Read

Promoted articles