Stevie Martin's cherished scouts memorabilia presented to library
memorabilia from Wexford's best-known scout, the late Stevie Martin, was presented to the Wexford Town Library at the weekend.
Stevie's medals, shirt, neckerchief and beret as well as a large collection of his badges and photographs were among the items presented including an audio interview handed over to the library by his scouting colleague Dara Lynnot covering all aspects of Stevie's life with a particular focus on his scouting years.
Among those in attendance were Stevie's daughters Marion O'Leary and Alison Kavanagh, his son David, as well as other members of the family, including grandchildren who form part of the scouting family and Mayor Cllr. George Lawlor.
Stevie Martin died in March at the age of 89. He joined the scouts in 1936, becoming a Rawly Scout in 1937, although he had marched in Wexford town's St. Patrick's Day parades as bugler before ever donning his scout's uniform. His first troop was the 2nd Wexford, based in Wexford town, and he achieved the National Scout Award in 1943 and the Silver Palm in 1944.
He held the ranks of Assistant Scout Master, Scout Master, Knight Errand Chief, Assistant Diocesan Commissioner and Diocesan Commissioner. He served on the National Camping Team from 1966 to 1997. His scouting accolades include Member of the Silver Wolfhound, which is the highest accolade a scouter can achieve.
He helped set up other troops as Diocesan Commissioner over the years including the 7th Wexford in Selskar and the 9th Wexford in St. Peter's College. He also worked in Stafford, UK, for a period, but remained tied to scouting in Wexford, never breaking his service.
In 1973, as Diocesan Commissioner he saw the parish of Clonard beginning to expand and set up the 13th Wexford.