Top tips to cut the costs
Published 18/08/2015 | 00:00
• Ask the Principal if the school offers the Book Rental Scheme or other supports available under the School Books Grant Scheme
• Check if the school runs a second-hand book and uniform sale
• Ask friends and family if they have any of the books on the list or organise your own book and uniform exchange with friends
• Ask your local bookshop if they offer instalment plans and pay for the cost of books over the summer weeks
• Copybooks, pens and pencils can all be cheaper if bought in large quantities - will a friend split the costs with you if you buy a lot together?
• Remember the voluntary contribution is voluntary - speak with the principal if you have any difficulty.
• Watch the shops for special promotions on uniforms. See if you can stitch a school crest on a plain jumper.
• Shop around for generic uniform items like shirts, t-shirts, trousers and skirts in local chain stores
• Check with the Principal on other costs that come up over the year for things like art & craft, photocopying, school trips etc and plan for them.
• Re-use stationery items such as folders, files and pockets.