Tragic passing of Philip (43)
The tragic death of a 43-year-old Ferndale Park man was recalled at an inquest in Wexford.
Philip Walsh 95 Ferndale Park died at his home on May 3.
His son Alan told the inquest before Coroner for Wexford Dr. Sean Nixon that he was unable to get into the house even though his key turned in the front door.
He shouted to see if anyone was around and his father put his head out the window.
He asked him to let him in but he said 'I can't.' He said he could smell gas and it appeared to be coming from the house.
He went to his brother's house to tell his mother what had happened. They telephoned the gardai.
The emergency services arrived after about half an hour and they kicked in the door.
His father was brought to Wexford General Hospital.
Garda Paul Doyle told the inquest that he arrived at the house at 7.16 p.m..
He spoke to senior fire officer Billy Dobbs who informed him there was a strong smell of gas coming from the house.
Due to the danger of a gas leak, it was decided to break into the house and to evacuate neighbouring houses, he said.
The fire service broke down the door and brought Mr. Walsh out.
They started to perform CPR on him but there was no response.
Dr. Fergus McSweeney, pathologist carried out a post-mortem on the body in Waterford General Hospital.
He said death was due to respiratory failure caused by a high level of alcohol combined with amhetamine and the gases butane and propane which were evident in the blood.
The coroner recorded a verdict of suicide.
Dr. Nixon joined with Inspector Pat McDonald in expressing sympathy with Mr. Walsh's family.