Wexford family who lost everything praise town for its help

By David Tucker

Published 28/04/2015 | 00:00

Marie Phillips with her daughter Jodie, son Jordan, and dog Lexi in their new home.
Marie Phillips with her daughter Jodie, son Jordan, and dog Lexi in their new home.
Fire at Marie Phillips House 26 Antelope Road on Thursday night
Fire at Marie Phillips House 26 Antelope Road on Thursday night

A WEXFORD family who lost everything in a fire which destroyed their home in Maudlintown earlier this month are busy putting their lives back together in a home provided by the county council and thanks to the amazing generosity of the people of the town.

'People have been fantastic, it's just amazing how good people are,' said Marie, at her new house in Ferndale Park, 'it's beautiful.'

Marie said many people had rallied to help, among them the people of Maudlintown who organised a cake sale and last Wednesday night the TOPs of the Town who staged a show at the Sailing Cot.

She said the family, who lost all their possessions, had received generous gifts of clothes, furniture and household items.

'We have the majority of the stuff we need. People have been very generous,' she said.

Marie, her son Jordan and daughter Jodie fled their home in Antelope Road with only the clothes on their backs after a fierce fire turned it into an inferno in a matter of minutes.

'We walked out with just the clothes on our backs, but we walked out alive, that's the main thing,' she said.

She said that had the fire started an hour later, the three of them would have been asleep and may not have got out.

The fire, which started in a press, is believed to have been sparked by an electrical fault.

Read more here: Family flee for their lives as fire guts their home

Marie said she had initially thought the chimney was on fire.

'I went outside to check and saw that the house was filling with more smoke. My son ran down the stairs and said his room was full of smoke as well,' said Marie.

As she was standing outside in her pyjamas with her daughter Jodie and son Jordan, a neighbour Marian Cullen arrived home from work and said she would go inside to investigate.

As Marian emerged from the house with Jordan, who had dashed back upstairs to get a blanket to smother what they had thought was a small fire, there was a loud bang and flames leapt out of the front door.

Five units of Wexford Fire Brigade attended the fire with the gardai and spent more than three hours at the house.

'I was out on the street by 10 past 10 and by 20 past the whole house was up in flames,' said Marie, who had been living at No. 26 for the past 10 years.

Wexford People

Read More

Most Read

Promoted articles

News