Courtown 80th anniversary celebrations begin

Published 19/03/2016 | 00:00

The original humble clubhouse at Courtown
The original humble clubhouse at Courtown

Courtown Golf Club celebrates its 80th anniversary this year. The club started as a nine-hole course in 1936 and was extended to 18 holes in 1968.

Over the years the course has been improved immensely with drainage, irrigation and alterations to the greens and fairways. Some water features have also been installed on the fourth and twelfth holes.

Courtown has been rated one of the best parkland courses in Leinster. It is probably fair to say that the course is now unrecognisable to the course of 1936.

The first clubhouse was a very modest building situated near the present fourth green. A new more modern clubhouse was built on the same site and opened by the then Minister of Finance, Charles Haughey, in 1968.

It was decided in 1976 to re-locate the clubhouse to its present position encompassing an office with a full-time manager, a bar and restaurant as well as recently refurbished ladies' and gents' locker rooms.

Courtown now also boasts a very well stocked golf shop run by John Coone, our professional, who is also available for individual and group coaching.

Courtown Golf Club has gone from strength to strength over the 80 years. In 1936 there were 25 members and in 2016 there are over 1,000 members including ladies, men and Juniors.

There is a very active Junior section in Courtown with many of the players performing off single figures. While our numbers have grown, we are open for membership and have a great range of membership offers.

If you have never played golf and think that you would like to try it, Courtown is running two new programmes - Get Into Golf for Ladies and a similar programme for men.

The ladies' programme was a huge success last year, enabling many to test out golf, make new friends and ultimately join our club.

We would also love to see some of our past members returning to play with a very special offer to rejoin in place. Details of all offers are available from the office on 05394-25166, or why not follow us on Facebook and Twitter?

In the 1930s the ladies did the catering but things have moved on considerably in the catering area. This year we have been joined by Mossel Bay catering who supply excellent food to the members and guests. The club is also open to small private parties.

So many changes have happened over the 80 years, and the committee members will continue to make positive changes in the future.

Wexford People

Read More

Most Read

Promoted articles

News