Molloy hat-trick seals final spot for Youths

By Alan Aherne

Published 18/05/2016 | 16:48

Eric Molloy performs his party piece after scoring on his one hundredth appearance as Paul Murphy looks on
Eric Molloy performs his party piece after scoring on his one hundredth appearance as Paul Murphy looks on
Eric Molloy tussles in the air with David Webster of Shamrock Rovers

Drama abounded in the rain at Ferrycarrig Park on Tuesday, May 17, as Eric Molloy completed his hat-trick in added time of extra-time to send Wexford Youths through to the Leinster Senior Cup final with a 3-2 win over Collinstown.

Wexford Youths 3 Collinstown

The home side did it the hard way, coming from 2-0 down in a game full of talking points to set up a clash with Bohemians or UCD.

Collinstown took a deserved lead with a sweet strike from outside the box by right-back Ian McNeill in the 43rd minute.

And their second was even better, with Dillon McKeever floating an effort from the right into the far top corner past Matt Connor less than four minutes into the second-half.

The comeback started when Eric Molloy beat goalkeeper Derek O'Connor to a loose ball and finished it into a gaping net in the 55th minute.

However, the leveller didn't come until the 87th minute when a Jonny Bonner cross from the left was met with a downward header by Molloy.

Incredibly, Collinstown were handed a gilt-edged chance to win it at the death when Matt Connor was red carded for taking down Dylan Clarke in the box.

With all three substitutions used and Graham Doyle a frustrated onlooker on the bench, it was left to outfield player Danny Ledwith to face Daniel Matthews' spot kick, but he got down low to his left to make a magnificent save.

Both sides faced extra-time with ten men as Collinstown had lost Dean Ebbe to a straight red when he lashed out at Owen McCormack in the 83rd minute.

Youths pressed hard for the winner while Collinstown would have been happy to settle for penalties at that stage despite Ledwith's earlier heroics.

And the Leinster Senior League side had their hearts broken 23 seconds into the one additional minute announced at the end of extra-time when the excellent Molloy planted a cross from the left in the net from close range.

Online Editors

Read More

Most Read

Promoted articles