CAOIMHIN O'Byrne, Leader with Gorey Scouts gives some of his advice for healthy camping.
* Dress for the season. It always rains in Ireland. Even if it's sunny, bring waterproofs anyway.
* Bring energy foods for hiking - hard cheeses, nuts, and chocolate. The phrase we use is 'GORP' - Good Old Raisins and Peanuts.
* Always boil water before using it for drinking and cooking - even if you're boiling potatoes.
* Always have fruit as part of your diet. We use apples, oranges, and bananas as snacks instead of crisps and sweets.
* Energy bars. Bars such as Nature's Way or Granola bars provide you with instant energy when you're hiking or for a snack in camp.
* Breakfast is very important, but eat porridge, Alpen, or Granola or something like that. They're better than the TV cereals which have a lot of sugar in them.
* On sunny days, drink liquid, lots of it.
* 'Barbeque style cooking - sausages, pork chops, and so on. Use a hot griddle instead of a pan with hot oil * Eat carrot sticks, or celery for snacks.
* We always try to make sure there are toilet facilities on site.
* If you can find tap water, use that. Otherwise we bring our own if needs be.'
* Don't camp under trees, for safety reasons.
* Try to find somewhere level, not on top or at the bottom of a hill. * Use roll on insect repellent or bring Dad's unwanted aftershave. The alcohol in it keeps the mosquitoes away.