Thursday 23 November 2017

Man accused of attacking woman he met online

Scales of justice
Scales of justice

A MAN who seriously assaulted a woman he met online fled the scene when members of the public who heard her screaming for help entered her home to save her, the District Court was told.

Dean Ward (30), Ballintlea, Gorey was charged with intentionally or recklessly entering into the flow of traffic in a dangerous manner causing motorists to brake suddenly in an attempt to avoid collision and was a danger to all road users causing a substantial risk or death or serious harm to another after escaping unlawfully from custody at Island Road, Enniscorthy on February 17, 2016.

He was further charged with smashing a window valued at €500 belonging to Yaming Weng, with escaping from garda custody at Enniscorthy Garda Station and with trespass at Sheehans with the intention of committing an offence on the same date. Ward was charged with assaulting Caroline O’Neill causing her harm at 63 Madera Wood, Enniscorthy on November 25, 2015.

Sgt. Victor Isdell said the gardai were still waiting on directions from the Director of Public Prosecutions in respect of the case. Acting for Ward solicitor Ed King said that this was the fifth time the case was before the court saying that Ward had been before Bray District Court last Tuesday and had been granted bail.

Sgt Isdell said that in respect of the assault against Caroline O’Neill Ward and Ms O’Neill had met online and went out in Enniscorthy. After the date Ward went home back to Ms O’Neill’s home where he was overcome with rage and punched her a number of times.

She tried to leave the house and he pulled her back in and locked the door. Sgt Isdell said that the assault went on for a substantial period of time. Her screams for help alerted members of the public who entered her home to save her.

As three men entered her home Ward fled the scene. Ms O’Neill was in hospital for a number of days after the attack and had been in fear for her life during the assault.

Sgt Victor isdell said that on February 17 Ward had escaped from garda custody running out the back door of the station. He failed to stop when called out to and punched the window at Sheehan’s jumping through it onto Market Square. He ran into the car park and tried to hide behind a large container.

As a motorist entered the car park he put his hand on the car door. A garda called out to him again at he ran onto Island Road causing a lot of motorists to break. He then went over a stone wall and went waist high into the River Slaney to try to make good his escape.

Judge Gerard Haughton was informed that the defendant’s mother was not available to attend the court and to offer to go bail.

Defending solicitor Ed King indicated that he would make a bail application at a later date and he was granted a remand in continued custody to a Gorey sitting of the court on April 6

He also pointed out that the case file had been with the DPP wince March 10.

Online Editors

Promoted Links