independent

Thursday 19 September 2019

Dempsey says he has no inside information

RUMOURS OVER CONTROVERSIAL BYPASS

CONOR CULLEN

COUNCILLOR Tony Dempsey has denied rumours that he informed a member of the public that a route has already been selected for the controversial Oylegate-Rosslare bypass.

The county councillor, pictured right, met a farmer from Ballyhogue recently, whose land would be affected if route H, one of the eight proposed routes for the new motorway, is chosen.

The selected route is due to be announced by the National Roads Authority (NRA) within the first quarter of this year, but this has not happened yet. Cllr Dempsey said he knows nothing about it and is rejecting claims that he said otherwise to anyone. 'I actually said the opposite,' said Cllr Dempsey, who was forced to defend himself on local radio last week. 'I told him I didn't think he had a lot to worry about,' he added. He said there were two reasons for this: routes G and H are the longest and, seemingly most expensive for the NRA, and, in any event, the Fianna Fáil councillor doesn't think the money is there for it.

'I don't have a clue what route the NRA are going to select,' said Cllr Dempsey, whose home parish of Barntown is also in the line of several proposed routes.

The councillor said he suspects the story was 'put out for publicity-seeking purposes'.

Most Read

News