independent

Monday 23 October 2017

Get a smoke alarm, says rescue garda

CONOR CULLEN

A COMMUNITY garda who rescued a woman and two young children from a burning home in Coolcotts has stressed the importance of smoke alarms.

Garda Neil Murphy and Garda Michael Murphy recently rescued Natasha Gordon ( 23), her daughter Rebecca (2) and her nephew James from the house at Elm Park.

It was a smoke alarm going off in the early hours of the morning that woke Natasha up, before she called Garda Neil Murphy, who rushed to the house with his Garda Michael Murphy, as they were on duty at the time. They battled through the thick smoke to rescue the trio from an upstairs bedroom.

Speaking to the Wexford People, Garda Neil Murphy, pictured, said that the near miss in Coolcotts highlighted the importance of having working smoke alarms in your home. It can take as little as three minutes to die from smoke inhalation.

'People need to ensure that there are smoke alarms in their home and if they do they need to check the batteries and ensure they are working,' said Garda Murphy. A spokesman from the Department of the Environment also highlighted the dangers of smoke inhalation: ' Smoke from a fire can actually put sleeping people into a deeper sleep. It may not waken them,' he said. 'By installing smoke alarms you will have earlywarning devices which give you time to act before you and your family are overcome by dangerous smoke and fumes.'

The spokesman said that people should ensure that all smoke/heat alarms are properly installed and maintained, testing the alarms and their batteries regularly.

Most Read

News