independent

Monday 16 September 2019

Kennedy Park home goes up in flames

WEXFORD FIRE SERVICE was called to the scene of a blaze at 34 Kennedy Park in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The house, which was occupied by a man, his partner and his five-yearold child, went up in flames and authorities were alerted at about 2 a.m. Luckily enough, the man managed to get his partner and child out of the house before the blaze got out of control. Thankfully, he had only replaced the batteries in his smoke alarm in recent weeks, saving his life and the lives of his family.

'What really saved their lives was the smoke alarm. The father had just replaced the batteries and it was that smoke alarm that woke him up and saved them,' said John Maher from Wexford Fire Service.

'Also the man had an escape plan prepared for a situation like this, which was of vital importance. Once a fire starts, you sometimes only have seconds to get out and luckily this man knew exactly what he was doing.'

The house was said to have been badly burned in the blaze but luckily all the occupants managed to escape. They were taken to Wexford General Hospital where they were treated for smoke inhalation.

Most Read

News