Monday 11 December 2017

Man jailed for raping boy over several years

The case was heard at the Central Criminal Court.
The case was heard at the Central Criminal Court.

A WEXFORD man was yesterday (Monday) sentenced at the Central Criminal Court in Dublin to 15 years in prison, for raping and sexually abusing a young boy repeatedly from the age of eight.

The man, who is his 40s and who is related to the victim's father's partner, pleaded guilty at the Central Criminal Court to a number of sample charges of sexual assault, rape and oral rape on dates between October 1, 2007, and September 30, 2012.

He also pleaded guilty to a charge of sexual exploitation in his home in Co. Wexford on a date between October 1 and October 31, 2012.

Mr Justice Paul Carney handed down a 15-year sentence with the last three years suspended. He took into account the gravity and multiplicity of the offences, which happened over an extended period of time.

He also took into account the breach of trust and the affect on the victim.

In mitigation the judge took into account the absence of previous convictions and his strong work ethic. The judge also ordered that he undergo 18 months post-release supervision.

The victim told gardaí if he ever said 'no' to the man, he would 'do it harder' or hit his testicles. He said the abuse happened 'well over a hundred times' and included touching, oral rape and rape, 'sometimes up to six times a night'.

A local detective sergeant told barrister Caroline Cummings, prosecuting, that the then 13-year-old boy disclosed the abuse to his parents in October 2012 and gardaí were alerted.

He had previously confided in some friends and they told him that if he didn't tell his mother and father, they would.

The man was arrested in October 2012, and although he initially denied abusing the teenager, he eventually made full admissions and was co-operative with the Garda investigation.

The detective sergeant confirmed that a number of medical reports before the court confirmed that the victim had suffered physical injuries from the abuse and has had suicidal thoughts from a young age.

The boy penned a letter outlining his wishes to kill himself. His parents were aware that their son was having general problems in school at the time and put these thoughts down to those difficulties.

The detective sergeant read the now 14-year-old's victim impact report in which he said that while the abuse was going on he was confused and too ashamed to tell his parents.

He said he had been terrified as the man had threatened to hurt him, and his relations.

The teenager said he thought if he killed himself no one would get hurt by the man.

He disclosed the abuse because he had wanted it to stop and 'had had enough'. He said he was relieved after talking to his parents and now he feels like himself again.

His parents had also prepared reports outlining how proud they were of their son for his courage in disclosing the abuse and how it had affected the whole family and extended family.

The boy's father said the man had destroyed his son's childhood and innocence with his 'filth and perversion' and that he carries a scar which no one should have to bear.

The man had destroyed his faith in human nature but he was proud of his son for overcoming the abuse and not letting it get to him.

His mother said she was heartbroken for her son and devastated after reading his statement.

The detective sergeant agreed with defending senior counsel Michael O'Higgins that though his client denies ever threatening the boy, he made admissions and his guilty pleas had greatly eased the worries of his victim.

He accepted that the man told gardaí he had been abused himself and confirmed that the alleged culprit is known to the local gardaí and has served time in prison.

Counsel said his client acknowledges that this fact doesn't justify 'in any way' what he had done, nor was he offering it as an excuse for his behaviour.

The detective sergeant agreed that he had helped the man source a programme for sexual offenders which he has since engaged with.

Mr O'Higgins said his client 'apologises profusely' for his actions and told Mr Justice Carney that he has 'suffered serious consequences', including the loss of his job and his family.

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links