Saturday 16 December 2017

Post office fraudster sees case adjourned


THE FORMER MANAGER of Gorey Post Office who has pleaded guilty to a €1.65 million fraud had his sentencing adjourned to December when the case returned to Wexford Circuit Court last week.

Tony O'Reilly (37), of 10 Sandhills, Hacketstown Road, Carlow, appeared before Judge Barry Hickson on Tuesday last having pleaded guilty to six charges of theft.

He has also pleaded guilty to six charges of falsifying An Post lodgement dockets for accounting purposes between December 6 in 2010, and June 29, 2011.

The sums involved were €290,000 between May 1 and December 16 in 2010; €751,000 between December 17 in 2010 and April 7, 2011; €319,000 between April 8 and 11, 2011; €65,000 between May 12 and 18, 2011; €175,000 between May 19 and June 8, 2011; and €50,000 between June 9 and 15, also in 2011.

Defence Counsel, Colman Cody B.L., told the court last week that the sentencing would take up to half a day. He also said that the defence was awaiting a number of reports which had previously been requested.

Mr. Cody asked that sentencing be put back to December 11 next, but indicated that they may be ready to have the matter heard at an earlier date.

The court was told at a July sitting that the defendant is also undergoing counselling treatment at Cuan Mhuire.

The defendant, who was present during the brief hearing, did not speak.

Judge Hickson agreed to have sentencing put back to December 11 next.

Previous court sittings have heard how the defendant disappeared on Wednesday June 29 last year, on his way from his home in Carlow to his work in Gorey Post Office.

He had left his home at 6.30 a.m. to drive to the Post Office in Gorey. His wife Lorraine became concerned when she received a text message from his work mobile stating that he had been involved in a car crash near Tullow while on his way to work.

Internal Auditors who were present in Gorey Post Office at the time also received a text message from Mr. O'Reilly stating that he had crashed in Tullow.

The defendant was later located in Belfast before returning to Carlow.

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links