Roof of thatched cottage badly damaged in fire
fire fighters were called to Kilmore Quay last Wednesday evening after the roof of a thatched cottage caught fire.
Stephen Kelly, from Tagoat, a driver at St Mary's Day Care Centre, said he was out for a drive with his wife Mary and saw what at first he thought was smoke from a gorse fire.
However, he quickly realised the thatch of the cottage was on fire.
'There were a couple of people around and lad came around out of the garden with a hose to get to the front of the house..
'I parked at the old Saltees Hotel and as we were walking back to the house, we heard the fire brigade. They were very quick,' said Stephen, who took pictures of the fire fighters in action on his smart phone.
The fire fighters brought the blaze under control, but not until there was considerable damage to the thatch of the rented house.