Wexford castle could make ultimate seaside 'des-res'
A historic Wexford house has come on the market with an asking price of €325,000, but would-be buyers will need deep pockets or a very friendly bank manager to help restore it to its former glory.
Cahore Castle, a 10-bedroom Victorian castlellated house, which once stood on almost 2,000 acres, still has almost 12 acres and offers uninterrupted sea views.
In 2003, Warren Estates was seeking €800,000 for the castle, which was sold for an undisclosed price as a development project in 2005.
Permission was granted to reinstate the hotel with 64 bedrooms and to add a development of 24 chalets on the land, and some work was started on the interior.
However, this was never completed and the planning lapsed, with the house remaining vacant ever since.
Cahore Castle was built in 1850 by MP and solicitor general for Ireland, Judge J George.
It was sold in the 1950s and subsequently became a summer retreat for nuns of the Order of St John of Gods, who built a number of extensions. During the late 1960s it was converted into a small hotel.
The hotel remained open until the 1990s, but the castle subsequently changed hands twice and was most recently used as a family home.
Buildings of Ireland says former owners include Captain John D'Olier George JP (d. 1877), 'Captain 60th Rifles late, of Cahore House, near Gorey County Wexford'; Captain Richard D'Olier George JP (d. 1893), 'Captain 7th Dragoon Guards ,late of Cahore and 'The Three Grand Old Ladies' Elaine Georgiana (d. 1944), Brenda Rosalie (d. 1948) and Muriel (d. 1949). Further details from Callum Bain at Colliers, 01 6333700.