independent

Wednesday 17 January 2018

Wrecks to finally be lifted from harbour

The end is nigh for 'ships graveyard'

THE 'SHIPS GRAVEYARD' at the Ferrybank side of Wexford Bridge will be tackled by Wexford County Council before the end of the year. For nearly two years two wrecked boats have been an eyesore at the entrance to Wexford town, where they were marooned at the foot of Wexford bridge.

The boats, which were previously salvaged out of the Crescent and moved to Ferrybank by the old Harbour Board, are now being moved by Wexford County Council.

The Council took over Wexford Harbour from the now defunct Harbour Board in June.

The two boat wrecks - the MFV Mister Jess and the Ferro Cement Hull - have never been claimed by their own-

ers, and they are being offered one final chance to come forward and take responsibility for the boats this week.

Under the Merchant Shipping (Salvage and Wreck) Act of 1993 the Council have given the owners one week to contact them or the boats will be removed by Wexford County Council. According to Hugh McGuire of Wexford County Council the boats have been an 'eyesore for some time' and 'no one has taken responsibility in them'.

'We have placed a notice and anyone with interest in these boats can contact Wexford County Council. Otherwise we will make arrangements to have them removed,' he said.

The boats are likely to be dismantled on site. THE 'SHIPS GRAVEYARD' at the Ferrybank side of Wexford Bridge will be tackled by Wexford County Council before the end of the year.

For nearly two years two wrecked boats have been an eyesore at the entrance to Wexford town, where they were marooned at the foot of Wexford bridge.

The boats, which were previously salvaged out of the Crescent and moved to Ferrybank by the old Harbour Board, are now being moved by Wexford County Council.

The Council took over Wexford Harbour from the now defunct Harbour Board in June.

The two boat wrecks - the MFV Mister Jess and the Ferro Cement Hull - have never been claimed by their own-

ers, and they are being offered one final chance to come forward and take responsibility for the boats this week.

Under the Merchant Shipping (Salvage and Wreck) Act of 1993 the Council have given the owners one week to contact them or the boats will be removed by Wexford County Council. According to Hugh McGuire of Wexford County Council the boats have been an 'eyesore for some time' and 'no one has taken responsibility in them'.

'We have placed a notice and anyone with interest in these boats can contact Wexford County Council. Otherwise we will make arrangements to have them removed,' he said.

The boats are likely to be dismantled on site.

Promoted Links