Wednesday 22 November 2017

Adamstown stay in race with solid display

The Courtyard Ferns Intermediate Hurling Championship: Adamstown 3-15 C'beg-B'murn 1-15

Michael Heffernan at Bellefield

Adamstown's Liam Stafford tries to get his shot away as Crossabeg-Ballymurn's Shane O'Rourke attempts a hook
Adamstown's Liam Stafford tries to get his shot away as Crossabeg-Ballymurn's Shane O'Rourke attempts a hook
Adamstown's Sean Barden looks to get free from Crossabeg-Ballymurn's Oisin Foley.

Adamstown ensured they would have a say in the quarter-finals of the Courtyard Ferns Intermediate hurling championship as they put in a solid performance to see off a strong Crossabeg-Ballymurn side in the final round of Group B in Bellefield on Sunday.

Last year's finalists looked like they meant business right from the off as they took the lead almost immediately and even after going behind before half-time, they turned things around in the second period, hitting two goals in a very impressive, workman like performance.

The game began at an electric pace as Tony French and Niall Murphy traded scores in the opening minutes, with the latter cutting a sweet line-ball between the uprights.

Adamstown then got down to business hitting 1-3 without reply over a five minute period, with points from Johnny Connors, Liam Stafford and Michael Furlong and a well taken goal by Paudie Barden who flicked the ball to the net after his initial effort was saved well by Mark Dempsey.

The Wexford District side responded well however, hitting the next six scores with Murphy, Shane O'Rourke and Paddy and Ronan Devereux hitting points before Tony Murphy hit the net to put his side ahead by three.

The Bardens, Paudie and Séan, then traded scores with Foleys, Paudie and Óisin, to leave four points between the sides at half-time in favour of Ballymurn.

On the resumption, the Foleys again traded scores with their rivals, this time with Tony French and Paddy Whitty, before Adamstown hit a real purple patch.

Firstly, Paddy Whitty crept inside for a well taken goal.

Then, Harry Cosgrave scored a point minutes before being pulled down in the small square, allowing French to bury the resultant penalty.

Adamstown were suddenly up by three and playing with real vigour and conviction.

They went on to finish the half strongly with French hitting the scoreboard on three more occasions with help from Whitty and Connors to cap off a fine display that earn them a spot in the last eight along with Crossabeg-Ballymurn who take second spot.

Adamstown: Paul Delaney; John Whelan, P.J Carroll, Brendan Furlong; James Breen, Shane O'Gorman, Michael Furlong (0-1); Johnny Connors (0-2), Lorcan French (0-1); Tony French (1-7, 6 frees, 1-0 penalty), Liam Stafford (0-1), Séan Barden (0-1); Paddy Whitty (1-1), Paudie Barden (1-0), M.J Cooper. Subs: Shane White for Carroll, John Whelan for Cooper, Harry Cosgrave (0-1) for J. French.

Crossabeg-Ballymurn: Mark Dempsey; Paul Roche, Billy Roche, Alan Byrne, Conor Shovlin, Paddy Devereux (0-1), Ronan Devereux (0-1), Conor Devereux, Paudie Foley (0-2 65's), Shane O'Rourke (0-3), Owen McDonald (0-1), Óisin Foley (0-2), Niall Murphy (0-5, 2 frees, 1 lineball), Tony Murphy (1-0), David Jackman. Subs: Bill Eviston for B. Roche, David Kehoe for P. Roche.

Referee: Shane Quinn (Réalt na Mara).

Wexford People

Promoted Links