Wednesday 18 September 2019

Bunclody far better than Kilanerin seconds

BRENDAN FURLONG in Ballyroebuck

HWH-BUNCLODY proved far superior to the Kilanerin second string in this Intermediate football championship game played at Ballyroebuck on Friday last.

Although hit by injuries and emigration, the Bunclody boys were in control for the most part. With Darren Kehoe and Barry Kehoe being particularly effective in attack, there was only going to be one result. They went on to build a commanding ten-point interval lead, leaving the result a foregone conclusion even at that early stage.

Credit must be given to Kilanerin who showed huge improvement in the third quarter as they battled to get back into the game, but the effort took its toll as HWH-Bunclody finished with a flurry of scores to take the two crucial points on offer.

During the opening quarter very little separated the sides, at the end of which HWH-Bunclody led by 0-3 to 0-2, but once Darren Kehoe soloed through for a goal as the game entered the second quarter, the eventual winners went on to turn their outfield dominance into scores approaching the break.

They had extended into a 2-8 to 02 lead by the 24th minute after Colm Farrell moved forward to crash home a fine goal.

Kilanerin finished the half with two John Hegarty pointed frees but they were still left with a real mountain to climb, trailing by 2-8 to 0-4 at the interval.

After Aidan Nolan and Barry Kehoe had extended their side's lead, Kilanerin enjoyed a bright spell resulting in points from John Hegarty (two) and Cathal D'Arcy to leave nine points (2-10 to 0-7) separating the sides, but that was as good as it got for the north county side, as Darren Kehoe added a 51st-minute goal to kill off any hopes of a recovery.

It was all Bunclody during the closing minutes as they went on to add further points through Barry Kehoe, Darren Kehoe and Bryan O'Hara to see off the Kilanerin challenge.

HWH-Bunclody: Seán Hogan; Stephen Finn, John Atkinson, Enda Slevin; Martin Atkinson (0-2), Colm Farrell (1-0), Paul Atkinson; Bryan O'Hara (02), Aidan Nolan (0-1); Darren Kehoe (2-1, 0-1 free), Ollie Connors (0-1), Padge Kehoe (0-1); Barry Kehoe (0-4, 1 free), Kevin Dunne (0-1), Davy Reck (0-2).

Kilanerin: Patrick Hughes; Killian O'Toole, Micheál Hughes, Peter Nash; Cathal D'Arcy (0-1), Stephen Hughes, Niall Furlong; Noel Kennedy, William Murphy; Dean O'Toole (0-1), John Hegarty (0-5, 4 frees), Conor Byrne; Brian D'Arcy, Enda O'Leary (0-1), Michael Hegarty. Subs. - Aodhán Kavanagh (0-1) for Byrne, Michael D'Arcy for B. D'Arcy.

Referee: Syl Doyle (Ballyhogue).

Most Read