Sunday 19 November 2017

Bunclody win with swagger

The Courtyard Ferns Intermediate Hurling Championsip: HWH-Bunclody 4-21 Ballygarrett 1-13

David Medcalf at Bellefield

Ballygarrett's Stephen Redmond puts pressure on HWH-Bunclody's Conor Hendrick
Ballygarrett's Stephen Redmond puts pressure on HWH-Bunclody's Conor Hendrick
HWH-Bunclody's Kevin Dunne gets his shot away.

With ten minutes played at Bellefield on Saturday afternoon, the seasiders from Realt na Mara seemed well in contention for a slot in the quarter-finals of The Courtyard Ferns sponsored Intermediate hurling championship.

Though it was early in proceedings, a 1-5 to 0-3 advantage over their Bunclody rivals appeared to suggest that they were good enough to make the grade.

Instead, they barely doubled their score in the remaining 50 minutes while the Half Way relentlessly ploughed their way to a 17-point victory which left the Ballygarrett team and supporters contemplating the glum prospect of a relegation play-off.

The early goal came from Cathal Dunbar who found the target with a shot which he astutely hit off the ground on the way to deceiving Bunclody net-minder Arthur O'Neill, this after a magnificent morale lifting long-range point from corner-back Eddie Redmond.

Sadly, for the Gorey District outfit, it was all downhill from there are their forward unit looked lumbering compared with the quicksilver enterprise of opposite numbers clearly keen to nail down their place in the competition's last eight. An early tendency to shoot wides delayed the inevitable but after Aidan Nolan blasted a free under the bar into the goal behind Shane Quinn on 24 minutes to equalise the outcome appeared more and more inevitable.

Bunclody were one up at the break and their front runner led their markers a merry dance throughout the second half as they piled on the agony with dominance that featured a virtuoso performance from Aidan Nolan.

The wide-ranging half forward enjoyed a three-minute spell during which he notched 1-3 all in open play, while the other goals fell to Eoin Kelly and free-scoring sub Peter Atkinson.

To compound the gloom for luckless Ballygarrett, they had centre-back Stephen Redmond red-carded six from full time after referee David O'Leary investigated an off-the-ball incident.

HWH-Bunclody: Arthur O'Neill, Martin O'Connor, Colm Farrell, David Reck; Conor Crean, Sean Kenny (0-1), Enda Slevin; Billy Kelly (0-5, 4 frees), Aidan Nolan (2-4, goal from free); Edward Dunbar, Eoin Kelly (1-2), Conor Hendrick (0-1); Cathal Boyle, Ronan Roberts (0-2), Kevin Dunne (0-2). Subs: Peter Atkinson (1-3) for Doyle 30 minutes; Jason Cowman (0-1) for Dunne 30 minutes; Matthew Byrne for Slevin 52 minutes; John Atkinson for Hendrick 52 minutes.

Ballygarrett: Shane Quinn, Eddie Redmond (0-1), John Doyle, Aidan Murphy; Darren Morris, Stephen Redmond, Tom Sinnott; Gavin Walker, Eoin Corcoran (0-1); Colm Kennelly (0-1), Kevin Jordan, Jimmy Murphy (0-1); Cathal Dunbar (1-2, one free), Colm Cosgrave, Jack Hobbs (0-7, 5 frees). Subs: Harry Byrne for Cosgrave, blood sub 13 minutes; Byrne for Walker 30 minutes; Patrick Fleming for Doyle 45 minutes; Cormack Moore for Cosgrave 45 minutes.

Referee: David O'Leary.

Wexford People

Promoted Links