Monday 11 December 2017

Cloughbawn run riot to reach Intermediate A decider

THREE GOALS in the first ten minutes ensured Cloughbawn easily disposed of a disappointing second string Kilanerin side in the Intermediate 'A' football championship semi-final in St. Patrick's Park, Enniscorthy, on Saturday last.

The first came after two minutes when Kieran Kennedy's long-range attempt at a point slipped through the hands of Kilanerin goalie Michael Byrne. Kennedy added a close-range free just seconds later and after five minutes Barry Kehoe and Martin Connick worked well together to set up full-forward Colm Kehoe who buried low to the net.

Colm Kehoe added a fine point from 30 yards and Cloughbawn were off to a flyer. It got even better for them in the tenth minute when Barry Kehoe's high ball beat the defence and Paidi Cullen stole in behind and buried low to the net to leave them eleven points to the good.

Kilanerin got the their first score after 13 minutes through Pat Forde but Cloughbawn went on to lead by 3-5 to 0-2 at the break after further scores from Martin Connick, Gavin Murphy and Kieran Kennedy, with Michael Hegarty getting the second for the north county side.

Playing with a slight breeze in the second-half, one would have expected Kilanerin to make a comeback, but this was not the case as Cloughbawn dominated all areas of the field. Gavin Murphy got his second point and the game was well and truly over as a contest after M.J. Furlong, Kieran Kennedy and Paidi Cullen stretched the advantage to 3-9 to 0-2.

Colm Kehoe, who was a real threat in the full-forward line, added another fine point before John Hegarty got Kilanerin's only score of the second-half when he curled over a long-range effort on 50 minutes. Kennedy and Paidi Cullen added scores late on as they thoroughly deserved the margin of victory over a lack-lustre Kilanerin.

Cloughbawn: Kevin Doyle; Paudie Kehoe, Tomas Furlong, Cathal Spratt; Harry Kehoe, David Doyle-Murphy, Gavin Murphy (0-2); M.J. Furlong (0-1), Barry Kehoe; Alan Carton, Kieran Kennedy (1-4, 0-1 free), Paidi Cullen (1-2); Dean Murphy, Martin Connick (0-2), Colm Kehoe (1-2). Subs. - Barry Carton for Murphy (50), T.J. Murphy for Connick (55), Aidan O'Donoghue for Cullen (55).

Kilanerin: Michael Byrne; Cathal Byrne, Enda O'Leary, Michael Hughes; Cathal D'Arcy, Aidan Hegarty, Brian O'Connor; Killian O'Toole, Pat Forde (0-1); Niall Furlong, John Hegarty (0-1), Michael Hegarty (0-1); Conor Byrne, Seamus Hughes, James Graham. Subs. - Patrick Hughes for S. Hughes (50), Noel Kennedy for Graham (57).

Referee: John Diskin (Bannow-Ballymitty).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links