Sunday 20 October 2019

Club Call

Serena Hatton of Enniscorthy ladies' hockey attacks Wexford in their derby clash in the Astro Active Centre
Serena Hatton of Enniscorthy ladies' hockey attacks Wexford in their derby clash in the Astro Active Centre

UNITED STRIDERS A.C.:The Juvenile Striders got off to a flying start in round one of the winter league at a blustery Enniscorthy. After winning the trophy for the past two years, the Striders have been training hard recently, looking to be the first club to win three times in a row.

Winners on the day were Rebecca Bawden, Katie Murphy, Elaina Browne, Myles Hewlett, Aidan Shannon, Adam O'Connor and Aaron Browne, with all putting in exceptional performances.

We also had fantastic contributions from the remainder of our squad, with all scoring for the team. Well done to Sophie Griffin, Moya Corbett, Lucy Power, Chloe Berry, Leona Berry, Aisling Ryan, Ruby Murphy, Isabel Bawden, Juno Clarke, Kelly Corbett, Eve Byrne, Louise Doyle, Clodagh Foran, Erinn Shannon, Méadbh Rogers, Leah Myers, Aisling Power, Maeve Whitty, Carmen Viddal, Catríona Ryan, Reann Berry, Aoife Ní Eochaidh, Zara Murphy, Gráinne Flannelly, Grace Costello, Joanne Kelly, Allanah Byrne, Ciara Kelly, Hayleigh Bawden, Conn Clarke, Ronan Shannon, Sam Myers, Patrick Pyne, Donncha McCarthy, Cillian Browne, Seán Lennon, Luca O'Connor, Kevin Phelan, Finn Kelly, Caolan Costello, Eoin Shannon, Cosmo Hewlett, Ben Myers, Ciarán McCarthy, Brian Whitty, Luke Finn, Conor Redmond, Darragh Flannelly, Owen Lennon, Oisín Mac Eochaidh, James Quinn, Seán Barry, Conor Phelan, Cian Flanagan, Patrick Doyle, Conor Murphy, Ryan Kielthy, Daniel Wickham, Mikey Murphy, Pádraig Bailey and Aaron Russell.

Well done to all 70 Striders who helped us to first place after round one. Next stop is New Ross for round two, where we will again need a big effort to hang on to first place. See United Striders on Facebook for more details.


Welcome once more to our weekly round-up of the goings on in Foley's Bar, Newbawn, where week five saw 40 players take centre stage in their quest to become the 2016 league champion.

First, a huge welcome back to Kathy Delaney who made her first appearance of the season, and it's great to hear that Robbie is well on the road to recovery. We look forward to seeing him soon as well. Secondly, we wish Inez Brennan's better half, George, a speedy recovery also and we hope to see him soon as well.

So to the darts, and the ladies' competition once more saw Caroline Bradley and Michelle Bradley in the final. These girls are really battling each other at the moment and again served up a very close match.

Caroline raced into a two-leg lead and only needed one more for victory, but Michelle dug deep and reeled off the next two legs to tie the match up and send it to the last leg. In what was a close leg of darts with both players giving their all, it was always going to be a tense affair, but Caroline prevailed and nicked it by the narrowest of margins.

The main event was as ever a contest of tough group stages and even tougher knockout rounds. The first semi-final was Jeff Nolan against Andrew McCormack, and Jeff was looking for two wins in a row and his third in total this year.

He really has hit the ground running and he went through by two legs to nil, but Andrew had darts to win in both legs and will be a bit disappointed to lose out as on a different night he could have won 2-0.

The second semi-final of Paul Murphy and P.J. Byrne also saw a two-nil win, and this time it was Paul who moved on to the final round, but it must be said that P.J. is starting to show some of the form we all know he is capable of and it will not be long before he is in the winners' circle.

The final, although not as close as other weeks, saw some super darts being thrown, but the quality of Jeff on the night was awesome. After winning the first leg he then hit a 15-darter which included a 180 to make it two-nil, and even with Paul hitting a couple of big scores in the third leg he still couldn't keep Jeff at bay.

Jeff now tops the leader board but it's early days still. Paul will be back more determined next week as will the chasing pack.

Finally, congratulations to some of our club members who attended the Limerick invitational in Rathkeale and represented Wexford with distinction by winning both the ladies' and men's divisions.

Sinéad Fox was on the ladies' team which beat Limerick in the final, and we had Jeff Nolan, Andrew McCormack, Tom Kent, Paul Murphy and Michael Meaney on the men's team which beat Tipperary. Well done to all in what was a great achievement in bringing home the two titles for Wexford.


The last two remaining one hundred per cent records in the Under-13 South East League went head to head in Clonattin on Saturday. Gorey's fixture the previous weekend had been rained off whereas Enniscorthy came into this fixture following a home win over Wicklow.

Gorey took the game to their opponents from the off and were soon rewarded when Michal Kruczek crossed the line. The Gorey forwards were made work hard against a very strong Enniscorthy pack which paid off when a Rory Tubritt tackle led to an Enniscorthy knock on, from which Brian Cushe made a great break which resulted in John Milne crossing the Enniscorthy line.

Brian was dangerous every time the ball came his way and got on the scoresheet himself with a try late in the first-half. Lee Cushe capped a fine first-half display by adding a conversion to one of the tries, leaving it 17-0 at half-time.

Enniscorthy came back into the game in the second-half but could not get through a dogged Gorey defence, with Seán Sawyer, Daragh Fitzpatrick, Alex McNeil, Enda McCrea, George Hadden, Rory Tubritt, Jack Curley and Tadhg Baxter all standing firm.

Having soaked up plenty of Enniscorthy pressure, Gorey then got back on top again with Adam Doyle, John Milne and Lee Cushe getting the back line moving which led to Brian Cushe adding another try.

His brother, Lee, then also scored a try which he converted. Enniscorthy fought hard for a consolation score but just came up short as the final whistle went. The final score was 29-0.

Team: E. Byrne, S. Sawyer, J. Curley, E. McCrea, A. Cleary, R. Tubritt, D. Fitzpatrick, G. Hadden, A. Doyle, L. Cushe, B. Cushe, J. Milne, M. Kruczek, R. Cleary, T. Baxter, C. Byrne, Z. Furlong, P. Kinsella, O. McDwyer, A. McNeill, D. Montague, D. Wadding.

New Ross hosted the Godfrey Hill Memorial Under-10 blitz on Saturday at the Good Counsel College grounds.

On a clear, sunny morning, the playing conditions were excellent. Gorey had four teams, and this was a great opportunity to play a number of different clubs.

Each Gorey team played at least four matches and the opposition included teams from Arklow, Enniscorthy, New Ross, Tramore and Tullow. The Gorey players performed very well against strong opposition.

The players showed great skill in all areas including tackling, rucks, mauls, scrums and line-outs. Each team combined well and worked hard to gain ground and score some fine tries.

Lining out for Gorey Under-10s were Brandon Byrne, Rhys Jones, Matthew Griffiths, Keelan Kennedy, Zach Walsh, Ciarán Kavanagh, Conor Hayes, Mike Hughes, Noah McCann, Max Buggy, Lewis Sunderland, William Stephens, Paddy Flynn, Robert Quinn, Naoise Byrne, Keelan Kenny, Craig Bailey, Shea Glacken, Tom Mackey, Odhran Cullen, Thomas Walsh, Brendan Coyne, Seán Traynor, Stephen Hendy, Calum McNulty, Tristan Cash, Doran O'Toole, Dara Dee, Conor Cassidy, Jack Power, David Byrne, Charlie Fleming, Vincent Higgins, Liam McGovern and Ceanna Lacey.

Thanks to New Ross R.F.C. for organising this event and for an enjoyable morning of rugby. Thanks to all our parents and supporters for coming to the match.


The course record was broken on Saturday in the Johnstown Castle 5k Parkrun when Slaney Olympic's Ger Forde crossed the finish line in a fantastic time of 15.16.

Ger's time is over a minute faster than the previous course record and is also the third fastest time ever for a Parkrun staged in Ireland. Well done Ger!

Also taking part from Slaney in the Parkrun were Jim Stafford (17.58) and Kay O'Regan (28.05).

The Stook ten-mile road race took place on Sunday in Gowran, Co. Kilkenny. This is a challenging race with the infamous 'flying mile' at mile nine to really push the runners to their limits.

Billy Reck was the first man home for Slaney in 1.01.39 and Emma Doran was the first lady home in 1.33.06.

Full club results including flying mile time: Billy Reck, 1.01.39, 5.04; David Kehoe, 1.0.00, 5.19; Bobby Redmond, 1.04.13, 5.14; Mick Morrissey, 1.11.57, 5.41; Emma Doran, 1.33.06, 7.45; Lynda Murphy 1.44.52, 8.34.

Clodagh Connolly was our sole representative in the Clontarf half-marathon and crossed the line in 1.52.41.

Marie Chapman was in action on Saturday taking part in The Moonlight Challenge which is an invigorating adventure through some of the most spectacular scenery of the Wicklow Mountains. The route is approximately 27 km. and the event takes place under a full moon.

Well done everyone. Go Slaney go!

Dates for the diary: A.G.M., Treacy's Hotel, December 7, 8 p.m.; Senior cross-country, Wexford racecourse, hosted by D.M.P., Sunday, December 13; Masters cross-country hosted by Croghan A.C., Sunday, January 10, 2016.

Training continues on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7-8 p.m. at Enniscorthy Sports Hub for club members only, but we are inviting runners who intend joining Slaney Olympic to come along and run on the track and enjoy the experience before joining up. Anyone interested in joining the club, please contact Mag Dunphy on 087-6366905.


Enniscorthy's first-choice eleven will no doubt be wondering how they let an excellent opportunity to grab all three points slip as they fell 1-0 away to St. James' Gate on Saturday.

Following two successive draws, Enniscorthy supporters could perhaps detect some green shoots as Donal Doyle's charges began to develop some consistency. Indeed, this progressed further with an excellent opening half against fellow strugglers 'Gate.

Daithi Medcalf in central midfield was an energetic presence, linking up well with Maguire operating on the right side of attack, while Veitch and Simmons worked the left-hand side well. The occasional ball which found its way through a well-drilled Enniscorthy midfield was quickly mopped up by Ogilvie.

Former 'Gate player Ó Súilleabháin entered the fray with ten minutes to go to half-time and came very close to opening the scoring soon after when the Corkman found himself in space at the back post of the net, but his shot went wide.

The hosts found a different gear in the second-half and Enniscorthy's was the busier of the two defences, but the Wexford men could still find gaps through the Dubliners' midfield, with David Simmons thinking he had broken the deadlock with a well-finished effort only for the goal to be ruled out by the umpire.

Late in the second-half Ó Súilleabháin found himself the recipient of a green card and from the resulting free, 'Gate worked the ball downfield and won a short corner. Andrew Rothwell was able to disrupt the attack but the visitors immediately conceded a second short corner; this time the initial shot was saved by Hill but the home side managed to find the back of the net.

There was still time for Enniscorthy to find an equaliser, but the Wexford men were unable to get the goal which would have been some reward for what had been at times an outstanding performance.

Squad: Graham Hill, Keith Ogilvie, Clive Rothwell, Martyn Veitch, Andrew Rothwell, Glenn Chapman, Daithí Medcalf, David Simmons, Niall Maguire, Cathal Ó Súilleabháin, John McWey, Kieran Costello.

Enniscorthy ladies' firsts faced Wexford seconds on a bitterly cold Sunday morning at the Astro Active Centre, and emerged 5-0 winners.

Wexford started off strongly, making some intelligent link-up play to enter the Enniscorthy circle, but this was promptly dealt with by the Cathedral town's back four of Olive Lett, Molly Boyne, Katie Owen and Julie Watchorn.

Once Enniscorthy settled, there were some excellent runs from Nancy Dunphy, Deirdre Kehoe, Ruth Harrington and Leah Chapman leading to two successive short corners.

Enniscorthy were unlucky not to convert these.

Enniscorthy pressed the Wexford defence hard and persistence paid off when, after ten minutes, Nancy Dunphy laid off a great ball to Leah Chapman whose shot struck the back board for the opening goal. Some promising breaks from Olive Lett and Anna Flood meant that Enniscorthy continued to press deep into the Wexford half and put them under severe pressure.

After half-time, goals for Enniscorthy started coming thick and fast, with a superb goal from Anna Flood from a sweetly-struck short corner and a second from the determined Leah Chapman on reverse. Another short corner followed and from a succession of passes in the circle, Nancy Dunphy also found the net.

There was still some fight left in Wexford and a strong break down the right-hand side was followed by a switch left that forced the first and only save from goalkeeper Fiona Rothwell. Sweeper Molly Boyne made a number of strong breaks up the field to support the attack and linked up well with Olive Lett, Ruth Harrington,and Deirdre Kehoe, leading to Leah Chapman's third goal.

Enniscorthy ladies kept the pressure on right up until the end, putting in strong displays all over the pitch, and deservedly ran out 5-0 winners.

Enniscorthy: Fiona Rothwell, Molly Boyne, Katie Owen, Julie Watchorn, Olive Lett, Anna Flood, Ruth Harrington, Nancy Dunphy, Deirdre Kehoe, Leah Chapman, Lisa Frayne (capt.), Serena Hatton, Elaine Hickey, Caroline Doyle. Coach: Ivanna Yates. Manager: Irene Doyle.

Enniscorthy ladies' seconds were once again in action last weekend against a tough Kilkenny first team. Enniscorthy got off to a shaky start with Kilkenny scoring their first goal five minutes in.

Intelligent play from Stephanie Kinsella and Emma Doyle helped the hosts find a toe-hold in the game but the remorseless visiting side soon scored their second. The Enniscorthy defence was once again under pressure when Kilkenny were awarded a short corner which was saved by Foran, resulting in another short corner, and this time the Kilkenny women found the net.

With the score at 3-0, Enniscorthy still felt they could salvage something from the game and a rare attack led to the winning of a long corner; the Wexford women lost possession though.

Enniscorthy's sweeper, Aine O'Brien, bravely intercepted at the top of her circle and the hosts were able to clear their lines. This was only a temporary respite, however, as Kilkenny came on the attack once again and found the backboard, making the score 4-0.

Enniscorthy refused to give up hope despite the scoreline, and while the hosts were four goals behind, excellent work by a combination of Stephanie Kinsella, Laura Redmond and Lillian Howlin threatened the Kilkenny goal but they were unable to unlock the visiting defence. Foran was kept busy in the Enniscorthy net, while Ilsa Flynn worked hard to keep the ball out of the home semi-circle.

Kilkenny got the second-half under way, and Foran in the Enniscorthy goal was quickly into action, making two brilliant saves.

Kilkenny kept the Wexford women under severe pressure though, forcing the concession of two short corners before Enniscorthy were able to counter- attack.

The visiting side dominated the remainder of proceedings, finding the net on a number of occasions to run out deserved 8-0 winners.

Enniscorthy: Aoife Foran, Ilsa Flynn, Róisín O Muiri, Aine O'Brien, Kim O'Connor, Stephanie Kinsella, Aoileann Hourihane, Niamh Buttle, Bridget Gainford, Emma Doyle, Lillian Howlin, Caroline Doyle, Laura Redmond, Fiona Breen, Róisín Bridges, Avril Buttle. Coach: Ivanna Yates. Manager: Irene Doyle.

Wexford People