Monday 18 December 2017



New Ross Under-19s travelled to Athy on Saturday to commence their Leinster league campaign, having had a bye in week one. Athy got off to the better start with a penalty after 12 minutes and a try after 22 minutes.

The Ross side seemed to be suffering the effects of the long journey for the initial part of the match, with multiple unforced errors and the defensive line not being as sharp as in previous games. Ross fought their way back into the game and were unlucky not to score twice in the last ten minutes of the half, just coughing up penalties at the point of scoring. Athy led into half-time 11-0.

After a stern half-time talk, the Ross lads came out a different side and brought the game aggressively to Athy. With the line-out totally dominating and the scrums also swinging in Ross' favour, the pressure began to tell on the Athy forwards as Ross set up maul after maul.

Eventually, the Athy line was breached following successive line-outs and strong mauling, with John Caulfield peeling off the back and going down the blindside to score in the corner. The try was converted by Robbie Vallejo.

Shortly afterwards, the excellent Athy out-half added to his tally with another penalty following an infringement which resulted in Ross being reduced to 14 men. The Ross lads went straight back on the offensive and a sustained period of pressure which saw Athy unable to leave their half for almost 15 minutes was eventually rewarded with a try from Robbie Larkin, with the conversion being added by Robbie Vallejo to leave the final score at 14-14.

The next round will be at home versus Wicklow.

Squad: Kevin Browne (capt.), John Caulfield, Conor Dempsey, Mikolaj Kochanski, Robbie Larkin, Joe Coughlan, Eoin Quirke, Seán Grace, Gavin Mernagh, Barry Walsh, Seán Crowdle, Eanna Burke, Nathan Prendergast, Alex McKenzie, Paudie Barden, Robbie Vallejo, David Manning, Michael Coyne, Mark Murphy, Bryan Haberlin.

New Ross Under-17s faced a strong Athy team in Athy on Saturday last. The New Ross side was missing a lot of players due to long-term injuries.

Great leadership was shown by captain Adam Swan to hold a strong defence against a hard-hitting Athy side. More injury hit New Ross as centre Aaron Fenlon limped off the pitch 15 minutes into the first-half.

New Ross got their first try as big number eight Tim Coughlan ran through the Athy defence to touch down in the corner. Great performances were shown by newcomers Peter Aspel, Eugene Buckley and Eanna Kennedy.

Eanna Kennedy scrambled under the posts to stretch the ball over the line for the second and final try for New Ross. Unfortunately, New Ross were outgunned by the physically-bigger Athy team.


The mixed doubles league for the adults will start on Tuesday when Clonard will entertain Taghmon in Scoil Mhuire. Other matches to be played between now and Christmas will be against St. Martin's, Terrerath, Gorey and New Ross.

Entries close for the Graded Juvenile championships on Friday for the Under15 and Under-17 players. This competition, consisting of singles, doubles and mixed doubles, will take place in the Active Astro Centre in Enniscorthy on Sunday, November 4, with the Under-11 and Under-13 competitions getting under way a week later.

Only registered players are eligible to compete, so interested players should contact the Secretary quickly.

This Thursday the Halloween tournament for the Juvenile members will take place. Pairings will be drawn by lot, with the emphasis on balance.


Last weekend saw both Wexford teams make the journey to Wicklow to play Gorey in the league.

Wexford firsts were first up to play against a determined Gorey firsts side. Despite having the lion's share of possession in the first-half, Wexford couldn't penetrate the resilient Gorey defence.

Ciara O'Leary and Miriam Joyce denied Gorey an advancement past the Wexford midfield line. Deirdre Bolger and Ruth Kennedy came close on separate occasions but were denied by some excellent goalkeeping.

The second-half continued in a similar vein with Miriam Lambert denied a goal by the upright. Gorey also advanced up the pitch and were unlucky not to convert a number of short corners.

Eventually Wexford broke the deadlock when Muireann McCarthy got on the end of a pass from Ruth Kennedy to make it 1-0. Wexford continued to apply pressure which was duly rewarded with a goal from Miriam Lambert. The game ended 2-0 to Wexford firsts.

Wexford seconds were next up with a hard-fought battle against Gorey seconds. Wexford enjoyed much of the possession throughout and went ahead with a great team goal, with Joanne Grant finding the forward-running Hannah Frankis who then made an inch-perfect pass to Orla Joyce who slotted home a goal with ease.

Wexford seconds remained solid throughout, not allowing Gorey to break through the defence and holding on to their well-earned lead. Unfortunately for Wexford, with 30 seconds left on the clock Gorey were awarded a short corner which they converted to make the final result 1-1.

Next weekend sees a break in the league campaign. Instead Wexford firsts start their Irish Hockey Trophy campaign against Genesis of Dublin on Saturday next, October 27. Please check out our Facebook page for match details. Supporters are very welcome.


Wexford Wanderers travelled to Moate to play the Midland Warriors on Sunday last in their third outing in the Leinster League. The visitors continued their super early season form by convincingly beating the hosts 59-0 in a game which was concluded as a contest well before the break.

The scoring commenced in the third minute when out-half Logue broke through for an unconverted try. Five minutes later centre Colm O Corcora passed the ball to fellow centre and brother Seán for another touchdown which Colm duly converted.

Minutes later Seán O Corcora crossed for his second try which was also converted by Colm. Two minutes later wing Mark Goodison was the recipient of some excellent work by the backs and crossed for the fourth try of the contest, duly converted by the reliable Colm O Corcora to give Wanderers a 28-0 lead after the first quarter.

Next on the scoresheet was scrum-half Ryan with another try which O Corcora converted before out-half Logue broke for his second try, also converted by O Corcora.

The man of the first-half had to be Seán O Corcora who just before the break completed his hat-trick to leave the score at the turnaround at 47-0.

In the second-half Wanderers continued as they had started in the first-half with wing John Browne collecting the ball behind his own lines and breaking through the Warriors defence to score a converted try.

The second-half was a much tougher contest for the visitors as the home side managed to recover their shape in defence and at time threatened the visitors. However, the visitors kept the pressure on and Colm O Corcora concluded the scoring with a try which he also converted.

While the forwards didn't feature in the scoring, the width the backs were given to play in was created by the way the forwards managed to control the contest. The old maxim that 'forwards win games, but backs decide by how much' must ring very true on this occasion.

The side has a rest next weekend before travelling back to the midlands the following week to face Birr on November 4 in a double-header with the seconds side.

Team: Richie Morris, Mark Rowe, Kyle Roche, Chris Walsh, Rory O'Leary, Aidan Stewart, Anthony Walsh (capt.), John Rowe, Stuart Ryan, Maurice Logue, Podge Cousins, Colm O Corcora, Seán O Corora, Mark Goodison, Paul Gannon. Subs. - John Browne, Neil Mac Aogáin, Willie Morris, Alan Kinsella, Niall Stenning, Mick Bolger, James Turner.

Wexford Wanderers' seconds side had their first home Leinster league outing of the season at Park Lane on Saturday last against a well-organised North Kildare outfit. The match also provided the competitive debut for the Wanderers new Senior team strip which the first team also debuted the following day against North Kildare.

The Wanderers side was significantly changed from the side which played Athy six days earlier, with no less than seven alterations to the line-up as a result of a variety of factors. The game started well for Wanderers who scored the opening try within ten minutes when the strength of centre Mossie O'Sullivan allowed him to crash through the visiting defence to score a try beside the posts which out-half Brennan duly converted.

However, the visitors quickly struck back with a converted try before scoring another to lead at the break. Early in the second-half intense pressure from the Wanderers forwards led to some desperation defending by the visitors before full-back Butler crossed in the corner in the space created by the forwards' attack.

This was as good as it got for Wanderers as the North Kildare side managed to create overlaps to break the defence and score twice before the end to win by 29-12. While the disappointment of losing at home may linger on the minds of the Wanderers side, a number of positives can be taken from the game.

The most notable was the fact that a side which saw a change in 50% of its personnel could dominate in certain areas of the game, particularly in the forwards where after some initial pressure the scrum outplayed the opposition and on occasion won ball against the head. Wing-forward Mac Aogáin was totally reliable in the line-out, winning possession every time. The next outing for the side is a double-header in Birr in two weeks with the first team.

Team: Dermot Graham (capt.), Alan Kinsella, Niall Stenning, Keith Cullen, Shane Byrne, Thomas Coleman, Neil Mac Aogáin, Riccardo Conway, Kevin Roche, Stewart Brennan, John Healy, Mossie O'Sullivan, Mark Doyle, Dave Kelleher, Derek Butler. Subs. - Mick Doyle, Frank Jordan, John Barry, Podge Power.

Please remember to check out the club website - - or the club Facebook page - Wexford Wanderers RFC - in the event of changes to the fixtures.

Wexford Wanderers RFC were delighted with the response to the 'Scrap Saturday' event in the clubhouse where items of clothing, books etc. were donated to the club for recycling to raise funds for the running of the club.

Supporters are also reminded that the club is also participating in the I.R.F.U. fundraising draw 'Your Club, Your Country', and tickets are now on sale. All tickets sold in this draw which is organised by the I.R.F.U. will stay with the club so your support would be appreciated.

The top prize in the draw is a trip for two to tour Australia with the Lions next Summer along with other equally super prizes, including home and away Six Nations tickets. For further details check out the club website - - or the Facebook page.

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links