Friday 15 December 2017

Cullen gives the Rapps a second opportunity

PATRONS AND players had to wait an extra half an hour for the start of the second of the two Junior hurling championship semi-finals in Oylegate on Saturday last due to the non-appearance of the appointed referee, David Owens.

Eventually Brendan Martin, who was in attendance, took the whistle and did the job to everyone's satisfaction as Our Lady's Island and Rapparees finished level on 0-14 apiece to force a replay, meaning the county final has to go back a week or two from its original date of Saturday next. Very little separated the teams all through and in the end a draw was a just result.

Colm Kinsella scored the opening point for the Island almost straight from the throw-in, but the Rapps got the next three through Barry Nolan, David Morrissey and a Diarmuid Cullen free. Robbie Reville and Liam Kinsella soon had the Wexford District side level again on three points each by the end of the first quarter.

Lively corner-forward John Walsh then burst onto the scene with three points on the trot, two of them from frees, and Nicky Keane might very easily have scored a goal had he not mis-hit an effort that was easily dealt with by Rapps goalie Ronan Furlong.

Adrian Fenlon sent a shot from a penalty over the bar after Diarmuifd Cullen was pulled down as he raced through. Barry Nolan and Liam Kinsella exchanged points from frees and that left the Wexford District team 0-8 to 0-6 ahead at interval.

The score for score trend continued throughout the second-half and they were deadlocked on 0-10 each at the three-quarter stage.

A couple of points by substitute Darragh Pepper helped to put the Rapps 0-12 to 0-11 ahead with ten minutes to go. John Walsh was unlucky to hit the post from a free, but three points in succession through Robbie Reville, Liam Kinsella (free) and Walsh (free) had Our Lady's Island 0-14 to 0-12 ahead with time almost up.

Barry Nolan then pointed another free for the Rapps before their team captain, Liam Boland, soloed up field and parted with the ball to Diarmuid Cullen who scored the equalising point which made up for some earlier misses that he incurred. Davidstown-Courtnacuddy await the winners of the replay.

Our Lady's Island: Noel Dempsey; Fran Corish, Keith Rooney, Dylan Murphy; Eamon Maloney, Davy Corish, Fintan Mullins; Sean Carthy, Colm Kinsella (0-2); Alan Kinsella (0-1), Liam Kinsella (0-3, 2 frees), Robbie Reville (0-2); Dean Maloney (0-1), Nicky Keane, John Walsh (0-5, 3 frees). Subs. - Eoin Wright for F. Corish, Joey Murphy for Keane.

Rapparees: Ronan Furlong; Ben Edwards, Jason Russell, Joe Carley; Declan Barron, Liam Boland, Mark Redmond; Dale Galway, Patrick O'Shea; Lee Murphy (0-1), Adrian Fenlon (0-1 pen.), Anthony Roche; Barry Nolan (0-7, 5 frees), David Morrissey, Diarmuid Cullen (0-3, 2 frees). Subs. - Lee Treacy for Barron, Darragh Pepper (0-2) for Carley, Fionn Carthy for Murphy, Alan Tobin for Edwards.

Referee: Brendan Martin (Ballyhogue).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links