Friday 15 December 2017

Duffry Minors do the business

AN assured second-half display from Duffry Rovers inspired them to an eventual four-point victory over a battling Kilrush outfit in this exciting Wexford People Minor football Division 5 championship final played at St. Patrick's Park, Enniscorthy, on Friday last.

Duffry Rovers struggled to get any real momentum going through the opening 25 minutes, a period when Kilrush played some of their best football. But on the resumption Duffry Rovers kept the scoreboard ticking over, with their two goals during this period proving decisive.

Kilrush, despite holding most of the first-half possession, would not have been happy with their four-point interval lead, particularly as they allowed some golden scoring opportunities go a begging. They had the ideal start with points from Ciaran Lancaster and Stephen Ryan from a 40-metre free inside three minutes, and when Ryan pointed a further long-range free they led by 0-3 to nil after just four minutes.

Duffry Rovers had to wait until the 13th minute for their opening score, a neat Thomas Dunne point following fine approach play from Patrick White-Murphy. That turned out to be their only score of the opening period as their opponents finished the half with points from a Stephen Ryan free, along with a '45, to lead by 0-5 to 0-1 at the interval.

On the resumption Duffry Rovers set about reducing the deficit through points from a Tim Bowler free and Sean Brooks inside 90 seconds. Having endured early pressure, Kilrush set up a quick counter-attack which resulted in an excellent goal from Dwaine Smyth, giving them a 1-5 to 0-3 lead after just four minutes.

Duffry Rovers pressure yielded a Craig Casey point after ten minutes, while one minute later Gavin Rafter shot a splendid goal from 14 metres to leave just a point separating the sides (1-5 to 1-4). As the Duffry pushed on they had a fine equalising point from Sean Brooks, with Tim Bowler adding a pointed free.

One minute from the end of normal time, substitute Gavin Watchorn shot to the net having been put through by an excellent Thomas Dunne pass to keep the club's title run continuing.

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links