Sunday 17 December 2017

Fintan's run riot

DEAN GOODISON in Wexford Park

Paddy Keane of St. Fintan's winces as Kilcavan duo Patrick Gorry and John McEvoy close him down.
Paddy Keane of St. Fintan's winces as Kilcavan duo Patrick Gorry and John McEvoy close him down.


4-11 1-9

ST. FINTAN'S powered into the Leinster Junior football championship quarter-finals with a superb performance against Laois outfit Kilcavan in Wexford Park on Saturday last.

This clash proved to be the perfect warm-up for the Ballymore-Mayglass side's crucial Intermediate 'A' final replay against Naomh Eanna this coming weekend as they really weren't extended too far.

Joey Wadding was back from the States and in the starting line-up at full-forward for the Wexford side. It took him just two minutes to make his presence felt as he rose highest to tip Cathal O'Brien's goal-bound shot to the net (1-0 to 0-1).

After O'Brien and Conor Day pointed to keep the scoreboard ticking over, Wexford corner-back Wadding was on the goal trail again. Breaking in from the left, he attempted the lay-off to O'Brien, but the corner-forward fumbled possession back into Wadding's path and the hotshot did the rest from close range (2-3 to 0-2).

Two Fintan's goals became three in the 21st minute when Dave Kelleher played a one-two with Cathal O'Brien and rifled past the Kilcavan stopper to increase the lead to nine (3-3 to 0-3).

Despite Derek O'Connell grabbing a double, and the Laois side pulling within six, St. Fintan's finished the half stronger and kept the nine-point lead with the help of a Tom Power brace (3-6 to 0-6). The Wexford representatives also finished the period with more players after Kilcavan's Oliver Dixon picked up his second yellow card for dissent.

There was simply no way back for Kilcavan in the second-half. St. Fintan's added the first five points after the interval with Power, Kelleher, John William Rowe and Kevin Day all on target as their opponents went 18 second-half minutes without scoring.

Kilcavan's best player, Derek O'Connell, did end that spell with a nice point but by then the game had descended into challenge match mode. Tom Power did flash home a late fourth goal with four minutes remaining, a major Michael Tarpey matched from the penalty spot in injury time, but it made little difference to the outcome as St. Fintan's advanced to a quarter-final against Kilbeggan on Sunday week.

St. Fintan's: Paddy McDonnell; Peter Goldsmith, Frank Staples, Adrian Murphy; Eoin Whitmore, Kevin Day (0-1), Brendan Hughes; John William Rowe (01), Paddy Keane; Niall Moore, Dave Kelleher (1-1), Conor Day (0-1); Cathal O'Brien (0-1), Joey Wadding (2-2), Tom Power (1-4, 0-2 frees). Subs. - Niall Murphy for Moore, Shane Sinnott for Day, Jim Rossiter for Hughes, Conor Sinnott for S. Sinnott, inj., Martin Goggin for Power.

Kilcavan: Eamon O'Brien; Paddy Dunne, John McEvoy, Shane Dunne; Declan Conroy, Jim White, Dean O'Brien; Seán Mangan (0-1), Rory O'Connell; Conor Bowe, Oliver Dixon (0-2, 1 free), Pat Hunt; Ronan Gorry (0-1), Michael Tarpey (1-0 pen.), Derek O'Connell (0-5, 2 frees). Subs. - Barry Grennan for Bowe, Seán Dalton for O'Brien.

Referee: Garrett Whelan (Wicklow).

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links