Tuesday 17 September 2019

Adamstown shade derby

Adamstown edged past Rathgarogue-Cushinstown in a fiercely-contested local derby in Group A of The Courtyard Ferns Intermediate hurling championship in O'Kennedy Park, New Ross, on Saturday.

Adamstown 0-12 Rathgarogue-Cushinstown 1-6

The winners were victorious by one point at the same stage twelve months ago in the same venue, and this game had a similar trend as there was very little to choose between the sides throughout.

Rathgarogue-Cushinstown started brighter as Daire Bolger pointed twice, one from play and the other from a placed ball, before Adamstown full-forward Barry Power caught a high ball on the 14-yard line. As he turned a goal looked likely but he opted for the point to get Adamstown off the mark after five minutes.

The game lacked quality in the opening exchanges as both sides struggled with discipline, and Bolger and Lorcan French exchanged a number of frees to leave Rathgarogue-Cushinstown 0-4 to 0-3 ahead in the first quarter.

Brian O'Neill fetched a ball near the sideline and slotted over nicely on his right-hand side, but French responded with a long-range free to leave the sides deadlocked at the break (0-5 each). However, Adamstown were dealt a blow when corner-forward Paddy Whitty exited the field with a nasty collar bone injury.

Adamstown started the second period with a spring in their step when midfielder Michael Furlong pointed from the throw-in before Lorcan French added a fine score from distance after good work form P.J. Carroll.

Half-back Seán Barden then scored a fine individual point from 45 yards on his left to leave Adamstown 0-9 to 0-5 clear with 20 minutes remaining.

Just as the leaders thought they had control, Rathgarogue-Cushinstown struck the only goal on 52 minutes when a long-range free was dropped into the Adamstown full-back line. They failed to deal with it and pouncing on the breaking ball was Daire Bolger who batted to the net skilfully to leave his side trailing by the minimum.

Quickly after Brian O'Neill added a close-range free and the game was now on a knife edge with six minutes remaining. Michael Furlong then scored two brilliant points from distance with the game edging towards stoppage time, but Rathgarogue-Cushinstown had one last chance when Ollie Bolger played in Daire Bolger.

One-on-one a goal looked certain, but his shot skimmed the post and flew wide to the relief of the Adamstown players and management. As tempers flared, Enda Doran of Rathgarogue-Cushinstown and Seán Barden of Adamstown saw red for an off-the-ball tussle very late on, a situation where two yellows would have sufficed.

Daire Bolger was lively throughout while Johnny Connors and Michael Furlong were the stand-outs for Adamstown. Lorcan French added a free to leave Adamstown the victors by three points, with both sides still needing a result in their last game to progress.

Adamstown: Paul Delaney; Ian Bradley, M.J. Cooper, Vinny Doheny; Shane O'Gorman, P.J. Carroll, Seán Barden (0-1); Michael Furlong (0-3), Johnny Connors; Liam Stafford, Lorcan French (0-7, 5 frees), Tomás French; Paddy Whitty, Barry Power (0-1), James Breen. Subs. - John French for Whitty, inj. (22), Michael Curtis for T. French, inj. (48), Harry Cosgrave for Stafford (56).

Rathgarogue-Cushinstown: Colin Whelan; Peadar Cody, Paudie McGrath, Francis O'Brien; Eoghan Whelan, Tadhg Cody, Peter Asple; Enda Doran, Robert Murphy; Daire Bolger (1-4, 0-3 frees), Daniel Martin Carroll, Brian O'Neill (0-2, 1 free); Mark Carroll, Bernard Furlong, Ollie Bolger. Subs. - James Devereux for M. Carroll (20), Patrick Murphy for R. Murphy (55).

Referee: John Diskin (Bannow-Ballymitty).

Wexford People