Tuesday 16 January 2018

Adamstown step it up

Alan Aherne

Adamstown bounced back perfectly from the nightmare of only scoring three points one week earlier when they enjoyed a commanding win over St. Fintan's in Group A of the Tom Doyle Supplies Senior football championship in Innovate Wexford Park on Sunday.

Adamstown 3-12 St Fintan's 1-6

A Paddy Whitty goal less than two minutes into the second-half proved the perfect tonic and, although Shane Sinnott responded in kind with the first Fintan's score from play, Whitty pounced again to knock the stuffing out of the Wexford District men's challenge.

Adamstown had first use of the wind blowing into the Clonard end and took less than twelve minutes to match their tally from seven days earlier, with Tomás Harrington, Paddy Whitty and free-taker Shane White obliging.

White from play and substitute Conor Hickey (free) widened the gap before Joey Wadding got St. Fintan's off the mark in the 19th minute.

A fisted Tom Shannon point plus a left-footed effort from Hickey made it 0-7 to 0-1 before the Intermediate champions of 2013 were offered some hope when two more late frees from Wadding left just four between them at the break.

It seemed like a surmountable gap with the advantage of the elements to come, but St. Fintan's were rocked less than two minutes after the re-start when Shane White's delivery from the right was fisted to the net by Paddy Whitty.

White converted a free to widen the gap to eight, but St. Fintan's were thrown a lifeline when Shane Sinnott found the narrowest of gaps to squeeze in a goal following good approach work from Frank Staples.

It was shortlived though as Shane O'Gorman was involved twice in a positive Adamstown move before Tom Shannon's shot was saved, but the ball broke to Paddy Whitty who drilled it home for a 2-8 to 1-3 advantage.

Although St. Fintan's kicked two of the next three points, their fate was sealed in the 49th minute when M.J. Cooper featured prominently in an Adamstown attack before finding Paddy Whitty. He in turn picked out Conor Hickey and the influential substitute, an early replacement for the injured Paudie Barden, beat Paddy McDonnell to make it 3-9 to 1-5.

Shane Sinnott kicked the last Fintan's point from a free with ten minutes left, and Adamstown emphasised their superiority with the last three scores from Conor Hickey, Michael Furlong and Tomás Harrington, who also had an attempt for a goal well saved by Paddy McDonnell.

Adamstown: Alan Bradley; Kieran Finn, M.J. Cooper, Seán Barden; James Breen, Lorcan French, Johnny Connors; Michael Furlong (0-1), Shane O'Gorman; Tom Shannon (0-1), Tony French, Shane White (0-3, 2 frees); Tomás Harrington (0-2), Paddy Whitty (2-1), Paudie Barden. Subs. - Conor Hickey (1-4, 0-2 frees) for P. Barden, inj. (16), Barry Power (capt.) for White (43), Michael Curtis for Connors (58).

St. Fintan's: Paddy McDonnell; Jimmy Staples, Adrian Murphy, Brian Lacey; Brendan Hughes, Kevin Day, Frank Staples (capt.); John William Rowe, Pádraig Doyle (0-1); Robert Coakley, Shane Sinnott (1-2, 0-2 frees), Conor O'Reilly; Tomás Power, Joey Wadding (0-3 frees), Jim Rossiter). Sub. - Peter Goldsmith for J. Staples, inj. (22), Jason Pettit for Rowe (35).

Referee: Billy Dodd (Sarsfields).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links