Monday 19 February 2018

Anne's ease to clearcut first win

Brendan Furlong in Innovate Wexford Park

Matthew Joyce is challenged by Jonathan Fogarty of St Anne's
Matthew Joyce is challenged by Jonathan Fogarty of St Anne's

This victory was far more comfortable than the six points suggests as St. Anne's were the dominant force throughout in this Pettit's Senior hurling championship Group A clash with a depleted Glynn-Barntown outfit at Innovate Wexford Park on Sunday.

St Anne's 2-14 Glynn-Barntown 3-5

A win was a must for St. Anne's who had just one point going into this game, and they brought great passion and purpose to their play.

They took the initiative from the opening stages and never relinquished their control although they did concede two goals in the closing six minutes, by which stage the result was a foregone conclusion.

For Glynn-Barntown, short some regulars through injury, they seemed to accept their cause was a lost one from a very early stage. Always second to the ball, they were never going to stay in contention for long as they failed to match the commitment of their opponents.

Glynn-Barntown opened the scoring through a John Leacy first-minute pointed free, but it quickly became apparent that an in-form Diarmuid O'Keeffe along with the hard-working Jonathan Fogarty would dominate midfield as they began to continually drive their side forward.

Points from a Mark Furlong free and a long-range O'Keeffe effort had St. Anne's in front inside five minutes, a lead they were never to subsequently relinquish.

One minute later Redmond Barry found the net from close range to power his side into a 1-2 to 0-1 lead.

St. Anne's were dominating possession, and were leading by 1-5 to 0-3 after 20 minutes when Liam Og McGovern was hauled down on his way to goal, leaving Mark Furlong to beat Mark Fanning from the resulting penalty.

Glynn-Barntown could only manage a Rowan White point against efforts from Furlong (free), David O'Connor, Diarmuid O'Keeffe and Redmond Barry as St. Anne's led by 2-9 to 0-4 at the interval.

Within three minutes of the re-start, Glynn-Barntown combined well in attack to force St. Anne's into the concession of a free just outside the 21-metre line.

Keeper Mark Fanning made the long trek forward to power his shot through a lined goal, giving hope of a more competitive second 30 minutes, but this was not to be as St. Anne's responded immediately with two excellent Liam Og McGovern points.

As St. Anne's began to use their bench, the game became a totally one-sided affair as they strolled into a 2-13 to 1-4 lead before, six minutes from the end, Daire Barron took advantage of a breaking ball in the goalmouth to find the net, Glynn-Barntown's first score since the 32nd minute. Matthew Joyce followed with a point after which Kevin Crean shot to the net two minutes from the end.

St. Anne's had Jonathan Fogarty sent-off on a second yellow card but they still managed to close out the scoring with a Mark Furlong pointed free to leave them the most comfortable of six-point winners.

St. Anne's: Joe Codd; Páraic O'Keeffe, Tomás Cullen, Kenneth Cloney; Mark Furlong (1-7, 1-6 frees, 0-1 '65), Aidan Rochford, Kevin Hennigan; Jonathan Fogarty, Diarmuid O'Keeffe (0-2); Liam Rochford, Redmond Barry (1-1), David O'Connor (0-1); Fionn O'Driscoll (0-1), Rich O'Connor, Liam Og McGovern (0-2). Subs. - David Fogarty for R. O'Connor, Seamus Mythen for D. O'Connor, Cian McGovern for L. Rochford, Seán Gaul for O'Driscoll.

Glynn-Barntown: Mark Fanning (1-0 free); David Clarke, Jack Fenlon, James O'Reilly; Calum O'Shea, Michael O'Regan, Cian Neville; Alan Cowman, Kevin Crean (1-0); Rowan White (0-1), John Leacy (0-2 frees), Michael Doyle (0-1); Craig Doyle, Ian Moran, Matthew Joyce (0-1). Subs. - Daire Barron (1-0) for O'Reilly, Pádraic Weafer for Moran.

Referee: Pat Kehoe (Rathgarogue-Cushinstown).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links