Friday 24 November 2017

Anne's pip last season's wasteful finalists by point

St. Anne's 1-10 Glynn-Barntown 1-9

Brendan Furlong

Diarmuid O'Keeffe of St. Anne's breaks away from Glynn-Barntown's Craig Doyle
Diarmuid O'Keeffe of St. Anne's breaks away from Glynn-Barntown's Craig Doyle

St. Anne's made a winning start with a battling display to hold out for a one-point victory over last year's beaten finalists, Glynn-Barntown, in this exciting Tom Doyle Supplies Senior football championship Group A game in Innovate Wexford Park on Saturday.

Seven minutes from the end young substitute Andy Kennedy showed an amazing turn of pace as he sped through the opposing defence to kick an excellent point, giving his side a two-point advantage (1-10 to 1-8).

While a Mark Fanning pointed free one minute from the end left the minimum separating the sides, five minutes of additional time were allowed by referee Seán Whelan.

And Glynn-Barntown were presented with two opportunities to at least force a share of the points, but on each occasion Mark Fanning kicked wide, with the initial attempt from play before his late, late 45-metre free drifted wide.

While many will say that Glynn-Barntown could have had more scores given their high wide count, one cannot take from the St. Anne's victory which in the end was fully merited.

Their new-found blend of youth and experience left them the more clinical side in front of goal with the opportunities that came their way.

St. Anne's stunned last year's beaten finalists with a strong start, racing into a 1-5 to nil lead by the 13th minute after Mayo native Seán Kelly pointed his side in front with an early free.

They went on to kick four successive points without reply through Jonathan Fogarty, Redmond Barry (free), Mark Furlong and Fogarty once again with a fine long-range effort to lead by 0-5 to nil after just twelve minutes, with Glynn-Barntown wide with four point attempts.

Glynn-Barntown were coughing up the midfield possession where Jonathan Fogarty and Ben Moore were in command.

And the leaders got a crucial breakthrough after 13 minutes when Kelly turned his marker before shooting low across 'keeper Matt Doyle into the opposite corner of the net, leaving his side leading by 1-5 to nil.

A Rioghan Crosbie 14th-minute point opened his side's account. After James Stafford added a point, a fine catch, turn and low shot from Craig Doyle brought his side back into contention as he found the corner of the net after 28 minutes.

Michael O'Regan pointed a free minutes later to leave the eventual winners leading by 1-5 to 1-3 at the interval.

Glynn-Barntown were at the centre of the early second-half attacking, leading to points from Fanning (two, one free) and Rioghan Crosbie to push them in front by 1-6 to 1-5 after 41 minutes.

St. Anne's regained their composure, responding with points from Seán Gaul (45-metre free) and Redmond Barry (two, one free) to regain the lead (1-8 to 1-6) by the end of the third quarter.

The sides continued to trade points, with a Robert Dempsey effort leaving the minimum separating them, but Redmond Barry and Andy Kennedy responded with points, as Fanning converted a free in between.

With one minute remaining Fanning's free left it 1-10 to 1-9, and then came those late missed chances as St. Anne's held out for a deserved victory, defending the final minutes with 14 players after Jack Murphy received a second yellow card.

St. Anne's: Graham Holmes; Páraic O'Keeffe, Tomás Cullen, Kenny Cloney; Diarmuid O'Keeffe, Seán Gaul (0-1 free), Finn O'Driscoll; Jonathan Fogarty (0-2), Ben Moore; Kevin Hannigan, Jack Murphy, Mark Furlong (0-1); Redmond Barry (0-4, 3 frees), Seán Kelly (1-1, 0-1 free), Francis Simpson. Subs. - Andy Kennedy (0-1) for Hannigan, Tony McDonnell for Furlong.

Glynn-Barntown: Matt Doyle; Stephen Lyne, Robert Tierney, Pádraig Donnelly; Nigel Usher, John Leacy, Jack Fenlon; Michael Doyle, Brendan Doyle; James Stafford (0-1), Mark Fanning (0-4, 3 frees), Rioghan Crosbie (0-2); Craig Doyle (1-0), Michael O'Regan (0-1 free), Robert Dempsey (0-1). Subs. - Rowan White for Crosbie, Daniel Carroll for B. Doyle, Alan Cowman for Lyne, Barry Doyle for Stafford.

Referee: Seán Whelan (St. Martin's).

Wexford People

Promoted Links