Tuesday 25 September 2018

Ballymitty beat holders

Bannow-Ballymitty 1-12 Fethard 0-9

Mark Colfer is presented with the cup by Denis Nolan
Mark Colfer is presented with the cup by Denis Nolan
The new District champions from Bannow-Ballymitty
The runners-up from Fethard

Brendan Furlong

Playing with the greater composure throughout, Bannow-Ballymitty fashioned a thoroughly deserved six-point victory over holders Fethard in an exciting Permanent TSB New Ross District Junior 'B' football championship final in Gusserane on Friday.

The winners played a neat brand of passing football, while at the same time utilising their strength down the centre, with full-forward Barry Sinnott in sparkling form.

He showed the clinical finishing that eventually steered his side to a fully-deserved victory, with his accuracy in start contrast to the opposition who lacked the same scoring power in front of goal.

From the opening minutes Sinnott was prominent in his side's early attacks, kicking over a fine point inside 90 seconds./

Two minutes later he was fouled as he was about to shoot for goal, leaving Gareth McCurtin to dispatch the resulting penalty high into the right-hand corner of the net, making it 1-1 to nil.

After Joe Sinnott had extended his side's lead, Fethard eventually opened their account through a Seán Foley point.

After a David Currid point had put his side into a 1-3 to 0-1 lead, two Foley pointed frees had reduced the deficit to 1-3 to 0-3 by the end of the opening quarter.

Foley continued his fine form, following up with two further pointed frees, before Barry Sinnott closed out the first-half scoring with a 30-metre pointed free, leaving the eventual winners leading by 1-4 to 0-5 at the interval.

Bannow-Ballymitty played with greater purpose on the resumption after Darren Foley and Barry Sinnott had exchanged opening points.

Substitute Aaron Diskin stamped his presence on the game following his half-time introduction with two fine points from play, pushing his side into a 1-8 to 0-6 lead by the 38th minute.

After a Foley pointed free had reduced the deficit, Sinnott followed with two excellent points, one from a free, and when Diskin kicked over two further points, that left his side leading by 1-12 to 0-7 with just four minutes remaining.

While Fethard finished with a late flourish of attacks resulting in points from Adam Swan and Mark Hanton, Bannow-Ballymitty combined to shut out any further late efforts.

This helped them secure an impressive six-point victory in the end as they turned the tables on the side which beat them in last year's final.

Bannow-Ballymitty: Gary Jordan; Arthur Murphy, Donal McLoughlin, Mark Colfer (capt.); Pádraic McCormack, Robert Mageean, David Staunton; Gareth McCurtin (1-0 pen.), David Currid (0-1); Joe Sinnott, Adam Diskin (0-2), Ibraham Ali; Jon Reville, Barry Sinnott (0-6, 3 frees), Gary Murphy. Subs. - Aaron Diskin (0-3) for Mageean (black card), James Crosbie for Sinnott.

Fethard: Ciarán Furlong; Seán Sutton, John Rice, James Dillon; Shane Tubrid, Martin Doyle, Conor O'Donohoe; Daniel Johnston, Adam Swan (0-1); Noel Colfer, Seán Foley (0-6, 4 frees), John Luc Tubrid; Alan Boland, Darren Foley (0-1), Tommy Power. Subs. - Michael Barden for Boland, Ricky Rowe for Power, Colm Ryan for Dillon, Diarmuid Byrne for Colfer, Mark Hanton (0-1) for Byrne.

Referee: John Tobin (Geraldine O'Hanrahans).

Wexford People

Most Read