Saturday 21 September 2019

Barrowsiders win for a second time

Anne's beaten in exciting U-16 tie

Dermot Kehoe (Geraldine O'Hanrahans) faces Barry Roche (St. Anne's)
Dermot Kehoe (Geraldine O'Hanrahans) faces Barry Roche (St. Anne's)
Andy Cash of Geraldine O Hanrahans is confronted by St. Anne's duo Jake Walsh and Darragh Furlong
The triumphant squad from Geraldine O'Hanrahans

Dean Goodison

Geraldine O'Hanrahans picked up their second win of the season following an enthralling encounter with St. Anne's in the Enniscorthy Guardian Coiste na nÓg Juvenile hurling Roinn 1 championship in O'Kennedy Park, New Ross, on Monday of last week.

Gerladine O'Hanrahans 5-12 St. Anne's 2-9

After a tight first-half, in which the hosts built a narrow 1-3 to 0-5 lead, the game opened up when play resumed.

Both sides played some superb hurling, defying their lowly positions in the Group B table, but it was New Ross who came out on top.

The key battle proved to be the Geraldine's centre-forward Diarmuid Kehoe with St. Anne's number six Darragh Furlong. Neither player gave an inch, both had their spells on top and it led to a fascinating match-up.

Furlong was part of a strong St. Anne's spine. They were particularly impressive in the first-half, restricting their opponents to 1-3 from Kehoe. The only goal of the period came when the Ross lad fired home after Andy Cash had been initially denied by Eoin Ryan.

At the other end, Kyle Kennedy's dangerous, arcing line balls were a feature of the period. They didn't lead to a goal but the Rathangan boys did keep the scoreboard ticking over with points from Kennedy (two), Dylan O'Brien, Barry Roche and Conor J. Ryan.

After another Eoin Ryan save, Cash found the net with a tidy finish. However, their lead didn't last long as the dangerous Dylan O'Brien netted from close range, again following good goalkeeping, this time from Ryan Gardiner (1-6 to 2-3).

St. Anne's just couldn't get their noses in front. Pádraig Bailey, an influential performer in the second-half, and Diramuid Kehoe shared the next seven of their side's points.

At the other end O'Brien nabbed three points and Darragh Furlong converted a free to leave them 2-10 to 1-9 behind with five minutes left.

Things really got wild in those last few minutes as goals came thick and fast. St. Anne's looked set to cause a shock when O'Brien netted for the second time in the half. However, they would fail to register again.

Pádraig Bailey broke their hearts with a couple of long-range goals while Cody Purcell also smashed home a shot off the crossbar as Geraldine O'Hanrahans got a morale-boosting victory under their belts heading into the Roinn 1 shield in the coming weeks.

Geraldine O'Hanrahans: Ryan Gardiner; Paddy Somers, Ben Walsh, Conor Walsh; Ian Stafford, Conor Walsh (Mount Caramel, 0-1), Adam Fenlon; Pádraig Bailey (2-4), Craig McDonald; Jamie Butler, Diarmuid Kehoe (1-7, 0-4 frees), Christian Burnett; Cody Purcell (1-0), Antoni Utwald, Andy Cash (1-0). Subs. - Josh Kehoe for Butler (45), also Jack Murphy, David Adegbesan.

St. Anne's: Eoin Ryan; Michael Carroll, Peter Cleary, Jake Walsh; Kevin Breen, Darragh Furlong (0-1 free), Conor M. Ryan; Barry Roche (0-1), Conor J. Ryan (0-1); Dylan Moore, Kyle Kennedy (0-3 frees), Erik Molyneux; Jamie Somers, Dylan O'Brien (2-3), Jamie Walsh. Subs. - Cillian Brennan-Roche for Jamie Walsh (45), Walsh for Molyneux (54).

Referee: Gearóid McGrath (St. James').

Wexford People

Most Read