Tuesday 17 September 2019

Blues in top spot

Mike Kelly (Oylegate-Glenbrien) and Eoin McLoughlin (Munna-Abbain) contest this ball in the air
Mike Kelly (Oylegate-Glenbrien) and Eoin McLoughlin (Munna-Abbain) contest this ball in the air
Fiachra Hourihane of Oylegate-Glenbrien is tackled by J.P. Furlong (Munna-Abbain)
The victorious Oylegate-Glenbrien squad
The Taghmon-Camross and Adamstown combination known as Munna-Abbain who lost out to Oylegate-Glenbrien
Tomás O'Gorman (Oylegate-Glenbrien) challenges Munna-Abbain netminder Seán O'Neill

Dean Goodison

Oylegate-Glenbrien finished top of Group B of the Wexford People Minor hurling Roinn 1 championship following victory over Munna-Abbain in Taghmon on Tuesday.

Oylegate-Glenbrien 2-13 Munna-Abbain 3-7

The Enniscorthy District side will now face Castle-Craan Gaels in the quarter-finals after holding off the strong challenge of their nearest rivals in the table, the combination of Taghmon-Camross and Adamstown.

It was Oylegate-Glenbrien's seventh win in seven games as they took the lead in the opening minute and were never caught. Leading by 0-3 to 0-2 on the back of three Damien Reck scores, the visitors went further ahead when Fiachra Hourihane beat Seán O'Neill with a powerful strike.

That advantage had swelled further, to 1-6 to 0-3, as the end of the first quarter approached. Yet Munna-Abbain came into the game unbeaten and weren't going to throw in the towel.

A rocket to the net from just outside the '20 by Alex Gondard brought them right back into the contest.

Oylegate-Glenbrien were playing some super hurling, justifying their favouritism for the Roinn 1 title, as they hit back immediately. After Hourihane pointed, a superb run and pass by Damien Reck picked out Tomás O'Gorman and the corner-forward snuck his shot past O'Neill in goal.

Leading by 2-8 to 1-5 after a cracking first-half, Oylegate-Glenbrien stuttered as stoppages and injuries took their toll in the third quarter.

They were leading by 2-10 to 1-6 in the 45th minute when an excellent pass from Liam Stafford sent Danny Winters in to net from close range.

Points from Damien Reck and Gondard looked to settle Oylegate-Glenbrien, only for Cathal Doyle to see a shot deflected over the crossbar, a point that was quickly followed by a long-range goal from David O'Keeffe.

With just two points in it (2-12 to 3-7) in the 59th minute, Oylegate-Glenbrien notched the score, through Richard Murphy from tight in the right corner, that would guarantee their top spot finish.

Munna-Abbain kept battling but they couldn't find the goal that would give them a draw.

The New Ross District combination go into the knockout stages with a second place finish, and they will face the side that finished third in Group A, Monageer-Boolavogue.

Oylegate-Glenbrien: Kevin Cosgrave; Gary Conroy, Joe Foley, Adam Shanahan; Evan Kelly, Damien Reck (capt., 0-5, 4 frees), Peter Rowley; Jack Reck (0-1), Conor Nolan (0-1); Ryan Hill, Mike Kelly, Tom White; Fiachra Hourihane (1-4), Pierce Murphy (0-1), Tomás O'Gorman (1-0). Subs. - Niall Parker for Foley, inj. (32), Tomás Cosgrave for Shanahan, inj. (41), Richard Murphy (0-1) for Hill (50), Mark Doyle for P. Murphy (57), also Richard Kelly.

Munna-Abbain: Seán O'Neill; Thomas Banville, Stephen O'Keeffe, J.P. Furlong (capt.); Eoin McLoughlin, Darren Hayden (0-1), Daniel Furlong; Shane Doyle, David O'Keeffe (1-0); Stephen O'Gorman, Liam Stafford (0-3), Luke Sinnott (0-2); Alex Gondard (1-0), Danny Winters (1-0), Anto Roche. Subs. - Cathal Doyle (0-1) for Sinnott, inj. (35), Colm Feeney for O'Gorman (45), Peter Murphy for Gondard (46), Darragh Winters for J.P. Furlong (49), Matthew Redmond for Danny Winters (50).

Referee: John Tobin (Geraldine O'Hanrahans).

Wexford People

Most Read