Wednesday 17 January 2018

Blue-tinged finish

Oylegate-Glenbrien hit seven late points

Dean Goodison

Shane Reck of Oylegate-Glenbrien in the thick of the action with Monageer-Boolavogue duo Cathal Walsh and Pádraig Flynn
Shane Reck of Oylegate-Glenbrien in the thick of the action with Monageer-Boolavogue duo Cathal Walsh and Pádraig Flynn
Shane Kehoestrikes as Robert O' Connor attempts to block

Oylegate-Glenbrien scored seven points in the last ten minutes plus added time to claim their first win in The Courtyard Ferns Intermediate hurling championship Group B in Bellefield on Saturday.

Oylegate-Glenbrien 0-18 Monageer-Boolavogue 1-12

Their loss against powerful neighbours Crossabeg-Ballymurn was hardly a shock the previous week, but succumbing to newly-promoted Monageer-Boolavogue wouldn't have sat well with a club with the talent to compete for this title.

And that looked a real possibility for much of this tie as Oylegate-Glenbrien struggled to consistently get Podge Doran on the ball in dangerous positions. Monageer-Boolavogue, for their part, performed well for most of the contest but just didn't have the legs to finish it out after giving so much for 50 minutes.

That said, playing with the light breeze at their backs, the Intermediate 'A' champions were being held at 0-5 each after 21 minutes. A pair of Niall O'Loughlin frees got them ahead but Oylegate-Glenbrien hit back with points from Seamus Casey (four) and Fergal Doran to leave stalemate.

Shortly after Damien Reck responded to a Laurence Murphy effort, Pádraig Flynn scored a superb individual goal. The Monageer-Boolavogue attacker won control of a breaking ball and burst his way through the last line of defence before kicking the sliothar high into the net.

That goal, topped with scores from Murphy and O'Loughlin, gave Monageer-Boolavogue a 1-9 to 0-7 intermission advantage.

It should be noted at this juncture that, after consultation with his umpire about the Bellefield scoreboard, the referee declared the score 1-10 to 0-7 at half-time - contrary to reporters and the leaders' own score-keeper.

Oylegate-Glenbrien set about repairing the damage with a blistering start to the second-half that saw Podge Doran notch a pair as his side closed to within a point. However, they went a quarter-hour without scoring after the 35th minute as Murphy, Shane Kehoe and Flynn pointed for Monageer-Boolavogue (1-12 to 0-11).

Once the dam burst in the 50th minute when Jamie Reck pointed, the scores flowed for Oylegate-Glenbrien. Doran added another brace, as did Casey, while Jamie and Damien Reck also pointed again as the victors finished with a flourish.

Oylegate-Glenbrien: John Foley; Robert O'Connor, Fergus Heffernan, Bryan McCormack; Shane Reck, Michael Heffernan, Jim White (0-1); Seamus Casey (0-6, 4 frees, 1 '65), Damien Reck (0-2); Jamie Reck (0-4), Marty Kelly, Fergal Doran (0-1); Eoin O'Mahoney, Podge Doran (capt., 0-4), Ciarán Hourihane. Sub. - Pa Cullen for O'Mahoney (48).

Monageer-Boolavogue: Seán Murphy; Niall O'Reilly, Chris Daly, Liam Gahan; Dean Fenlon (0-1), Tommy Breen, Graham O'Reilly; Laurence Murphy (0-3), Damien Fenlon; Stephen Murphy, Brian O'Loughlin (0-1), Pádraig Flynn (1-1, 0-1 free); Mark Gahan, Shane Kehoe (0-1), Niall O'Loughlin (0-5, 2 frees, 1 '65). Subs. - Mick Sweeney for Damien Fenlon (31), Cathal Walsh for N. O'Loughlin, inj. (42), Paul Gahan for O'Reilly, temp. (46-52), Matthew Dunne for Kehoe (52).

Referee: Gearóid McGrath (St. James').

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links