Saturday 18 November 2017

Boys in blue had a ball in final

Young footballers in full command

Dean Goodison

The successful Oylegate-Glenbrien squad
The successful Oylegate-Glenbrien squad
Paudie Casey of Oylegate-Glenbrien received the cup from Dean Goodison of People Newspapers and P.J. Howlin (Coiste na nÓg)
Joseph Whelan (Oylegate-Glenbrien) is pursued by Adam O'Grady (Fethard) in the New Ross Under-14 football Division 5 final
Mikey Nolan (Oylegate-Glenbrien) is tackled by Sean Walsh (Fethard)

A Michael Kinsella hat-trick propelled Oylegate-Glenbrien past Fethard to the New Ross Standard Coiste na nOg Under-14 Division 5 13-a-side football championship title in St. Patrick's Park on Wednesday.

Oylegate-Blenbrien 4-17 Fethard 0-7

The accurate attacker ended with a personal tally of 3-3, the highlight of a fantastic showing from his side.

It really was the quintessential team performance with everyone contributing, even the five substitutes.

They limited Fethard to no score at all in the second-half and that was down to superb play by the back five and excellent ball-winning by the midfield duo of Joseph Whelan and Paudie Casey.

In front of the posts Oylegate-Glenbrien were sensational. They kicked barely a handful of wides to go with their 21 scores and that's a record that many teams playing in higher divisions would even struggle to match.

In fact Fethard played well too. The quality of this game far exceeded its Division 5 status, with both sides showing a level of skill that bodes well for the future of both clubs.

The seasiders will be disappointed with the result but they form a young team which is improving and really put it up to their opponents for the first 20-plus minutes.

At that stage they even led by 0-6 to 0-5 after putting in a really good shift in the opening exchanges.

Cian Byrne grabbed four of those points, while the impressive Liam Og Doyle notched the other two as Fethard led. Points from Jack Freeman, Joseph Whelan, Paudie Casey (two) and James Moulton had Oylegate-Glenbrien hanging in the game at that stage but two quick majors completely turned the clash on its head.

Mikie Kelly punched the first one to the net after a good run and pass by Casey, and Kinsella grabbed the first of his treble in the 25th minute to make the score 2-7 to 0-6.

Byrne kicked over the final score of the half to leave six between them at the interval.

Five points were added to the total by the time Kinsella found the net for his second and third goals (4-12 to 0-7).

Both sides cleared the benches and it allowed Cameron Clarke, Bobby Freeman and Conal Byrne to all get on the scoresheet as Oylegate-Glenbrien eased to Division 5 glory.

Oylegate-Glenbrien: Conor Murphy; Darragh Casey, Adam Byrne; John Nolan, Mikey Nolan, Bobby Freeman (0-1 free); Joseph Whelan (0-1), Paudie Casey (capt., 0-6, 3 frees); Michael Kinsella (3-3), Niall Mernagh, Mikie Kelly (1-0); Jack Freeman (0-2), James Moulton (0-2). Subs. - Ryan Cullen for Nolan (35), Cian McCormack for Mernagh (38), Adam Roche for Freeman (38), Cameron Clarke (0-1) for Moulton (44), Conal Byrne (0-1) for Kelly (45), J. Nolan for Kinsella (48), B. Freeman for J. Whelan (49).

Fethard: Jimmy Molloy; Andy Liu, Owen Whelan; Kevin Wallace, Ryan Molloy, Eoin O'Dowd; Dylan Whelan, Harry Nunan (capt.); Cian Byrne (0-5, 4 frees), Seán Walsh, Liam Og Doyle (0-2); Oisín O'Leary, Rory Whelan. Subs. - Adam O'Grady for R. Whelan (26), Robbie Molloy for O'Dowd (40), E. O'Dowd for Walsh, inj. (49), also Mark Wall, Jake Molloy.

Referee: Martin Armstrong (HWH-Bunclody).

Wexford People

Promoted Links