Thursday 22 August 2019

Boys in blue in top form

Colm Lambert

Olyegate-Glenbrien stuttered to start but soon turned on the style as they claimed the Greenstar Enniscorthy District Under-21 hurling Roinn 1 championship title by comfortably overcoming HWH-Bunclody in St. Patrick's Park on Tuesday.

O'gate-G'brien 4-15 Hwh-Bunclody 2-7

The eventual victors had the advantage of a strong wind in the first-half but failed to score in the opening ten minutes - a period in which they saw Bunclody register 1-1, with the opening point coming from Eoin Kelly and the goal being a Billy Kelly penalty after corner-forward Cormac Kelly was fouled.

That goal only served to finally spur Oylegate-Glenbrien into life though, as they turned things right around with a scoring burst of 1-8 without reply over the next seven minutes.

Points came first from Shane Reck, Jim White, Conor Heffernan (two) and Seamie Casey (two frees), before their first goal came through Ciarán Hourihane on 16 minutes as he swept a loose ball to the net.

Further points from Heffernan and Hourihane quickly followed, and although the scoring rate then dried up, Oylegate-Glenbrien still had the only remaning scores of the first-half too, as Seamie Casey pointed three more frees to leave them 1-11 to 1-1 ahead at the break.

HWH-Bunclody managed the first three points of the second-half, but any slight hint at a comeback was quickly killed off when a Stephen Ring sideline cut went all the way to the net for Oylegate-Glenbrien on 38 minutes.

That made it 2-11 to 1-4, and while Cormac Kelly did get the Half Way half back into it on 40 minutes with a fine goal, that state of affairs was only temporary as Barry Dunne struck for Oylegate-Glenbrien's third just a couple of minutes later.

It really was over as a contest at this stage, and dual county Minor Seamie Casey put the icing on the cake for Oylegate-Glenbrien as he scored yet another goal on 51 minutes, by plucking a ball from Shane Reck out of the air and planting it in the HWH-Bunclody net.

The same man was to add two more points from frees in the closing stages, making him the top scorer with 1-7.

Oylegate-Glenbrien: John Reck; Stephen Ring (1-0 line ball), John Lambert, Kieran Lambert; Micheál Reck, Jim White (0-1), Ciarán O'Brien; Brian Doran, Damien Reck; Conor Heffernan (0-4), Ciarán Hourihane (1-1), Pa Cullen; Barry Dunne (1-1), Seamie Casey (1-7, 0-7 frees), Shane Reck (0-1). Subs. - Niall Kinsella for M. Reck, inj., Kevin Reck for K. Lambert, Lee Kehoe for D. Reck.

HWH-Bunclody: Jamie Farrell; Diarmuid Crean, Conor Crean, Martin O'Connor; John Dunne, Seán Kenny (0-3, 1 free), Conor Thorpe; Páuric Sinnott (0-2), Billy Kelly (1-0 pen.); Darren Murphy, Ronan Roberts, Conor Hendrick (0-1); Mark O'Connor, Eoin Kelly (0-1), Cormac Kelly (1-0). Subs. - Seán Hogan for Roberts, inj., Shane McCarthy for Murphy.

Referee: Brendan Martin (Ballyhogue).

Wexford People

Most Read