Thursday 22 August 2019

Brosnan dumps Kilmore

Niall Hughes on the ball for Kilanerin, as Tiarnan Rossiter races back
Niall Hughes on the ball for Kilanerin, as Tiarnan Rossiter races back

Brendan Furlong

Kilmore's hopes of entering the quarter-final stages were shattered in the closing minute when a Ben Brosnan point handed Bannow-Ballymitty a victory by the minimum margin in this hugely competitive Lodgewood Engineering Intermediate football championship Group B game in Rathangan on Sunday.

Bannow-B'mitty 0-10 Kilmore 1-6

The end result meant Kilmore remained on four points, with Clongeen taking third spot as a result of their victory over St. Mary's (Maudlintown).

And St. Mary's (Rosslare), who finished with four points along with Kilmore, edged their neighbours out on the head-to-head ruling.

Given the nature of the group, the allocation of quarter-final places was in doubt right up to the final whistle, but Kilmore's championship bubble burst in a nail-biting finish.

Bannow-Ballymitty had already secured a quarter-final spot, but were playing for the best possible group placing, all of which added to the competitive nature of the game.

Neither side simply wanted to lose, leading to a busy 60 minutes for referee Eric Molloy with the brandishing of yellow cards.

As it transpired Kilmore pulled the trigger on themselves twelve minutes from the end, at a time when they were playing the best football of their campaign, when they had attacker Liam Shannon dismissed on a second yellow card offence.

This was a time when they were leading by one point and playing the better quality football, looking like a side destined for victory. This proved a real turning point as they failed to score in the ensuing minutes while their opponents enjoyed more possession with their numerical advantage, adding two late points to secure victory.

With brothers Paddy and Tom Byrne dominating midfield, Kilmore had lots of the ball but failed to utilise this to their advantage, as they lacked real penetration in attack.

After points from Liam Shannon and Aaron Goff inside the opening two minutes, along with Goff firing a real goal chance wide in between, the opposition hit back for four unanswered points through Ben Brosnan, Conor Neville, Niall Harney (free) and Jon Reville to lead by 0-4 to 0-2 after ten minutes.

Kilmore struck for the game's only goal after 17 minutes when Liam Shannon was picked out by a Paddy Byrne pass, finishing low to the corner of the net, a score that set them up for a 1-5 to 0-6 interval lead.

Pointed frees from Harney and Brosnan had the sides level (1-5 to 0-8) after 33 minutes, but a Tom Byrne 43rd-minute point, their solitary second-half score, restored his side's lead.

Some desperate defending from the eventual winners helped to keep their goal intact, as a Daithí Moore dropping free was cleared off the line, while in the subsequent tussle, Shannon was adjudged to have fouled and this led to his second yellow.

Paddy Byrne was continuing to provide the leadership for his side, and it was not until two minutes from the end that a Harney pointed free had the teams level.

Thirty seconds from the end Brosnan lofted over a huge point, a score fitting to separate the sides.

Bannow-Ballymitty: Philip Murphy; Jon Reville (0-1), Darragh Murphy, M.J. Doran; Conor Neville (0-1), Niall Murphy, Nicky Doyle; Art Sweetman (0-1), Micheál Murphy; John Staples, Niall Harney (0-3 frees), Mark Wallace; Gary Morton, John Sinnott, Ben Brosnan (0-4, 1 free). Subs. - Pat Fitzharris for Staples, Fintan White for Morton, Aaron Diskin for Wallace.

Kilmore: Kevin Casey; Graham Mernagh, Stevie Cousins, William Carley; Shane Goff, Denis Kenny, Tommy Cousins; Tom Byrne (0-1), Paddy Byrne; Daithí Moore (0-1 free), Alan Jones, Liam Shannon (1-1); Aaron Goff (0-2), Noel Casey, Conor Moore (0-1).

Referee: Eric Molloy (St. James').

Wexford People

Most Read