Saturday 22 September 2018

Bunclody best in a thriller

HWH-Bunclody 0-15 Adamstown 0-14

ML. Heffernan

Nine minutes of injury-time were needed to decide the winner of this Enniscorthy Farm Systems Junior 'A' football championship semi-final, with Paul Finn kicking a free at the death to give HWH-Bunclody the upper hand over Adamstown in a hugely entertaining contest in Oylegate on Sunday.

This game was overflowing with action, with Adamstown taking an early lead, but Bunclody hitting four points in five minutes before the break to hit the front for the first time.

Bunclody remained ahead in the third quarter, with Adamstown then fighting back.

The sides were level at seven different stages of a frantic second-half, and cards of every colour and description were shown.

And to cap it all we had nine minutes of injury-time, and a late, late point that was the only kick that could separate two sides which must be applauded for their efforts.

The action began immediately with Adamstown exhibiting a bossy style of play.

Taking man and ball, they took a four-point lead in the opening quarter with points from Shane Bradley, Colm Boland, Jonathan Moore and Brendan Kehoe.

Bunclody were finding scores hard to come by but kept themselves within touching distance thanks to John and John Paul Connors.

They eventually matched Adamstown and closed the half in impressive style, with points from Paul Finn, Stephen Kavanagh, Byron Byrne and Cathal Doyle leaving them one ahead as the teams changed ends.

The second-half was real edge-of-your seat stuff, as the sides traded scores to find themselves level at the close of the third quarter.

At this point Cathal Doyle pulled out a moment of magic.

He hit a beauty from under the stand as he fell to the ground that seemed to inspire his side as they hit the next two scores to take a three-point lead with ten minutes left.

Adamtown weren't to be shaken however and hit the next four scores to go ahead at the end of normal time.

But after a lengthy stoppage, Doyle levelled matters with another quality effort before his side were awarded a free in front of goals.

Paul Finn duly held his nerves with a steady kick to set his side up for a final meeting with Gusserane.

HWH-Bunclody: Francis Reck; Conor Hendrick, Thomas O'Neill, Paul Jackman; Matty Byrne, Joe Kavanagh, Byron Byrne (0-1); Jason Cowman, James Taylor; Stephen Kavanagh (0-1), Paul Finn (0-5, 2 frees, 1 '45), Podge Kehoe; Adrian Hendrick (0-1), John Paul Connors (0-1), Cathal Doyle (0-4). Subs. - John Connors (0-1) for J.P. Connors, Diarmuid Crean for Taylor (black card), Niall Kelly (0-1) for S. Kavanagh, Darren Murphy for A. Hendrick.

Adamstown: Paul Delaney; Mark Cowman, John Whelan, Stephen English; Brendan Furlong (0-2), Colm Boland (0-1), John French; Jonathan Moore (0-3), Paudge Wickham; Mark Dunphy, Peter Finn (0-2), Mervyn Moloney (0-1); Shane Bradley (0-1), Paddy Whitty, Brendan Kehoe (0-4, 2 frees). Sub. - Paul Cooper for Whitty.

Referee: Niall McDonald (Crossabeg-Ballymurn).

Wexford People

Most Read