Monday 18 December 2017

Bunclody prosper in extra-time

Colm Lambert

Mark Sheehan of HWH-Bunclody tries to plot a route past Naomhan Rossiter of St. Mary's (Rosslare)
Mark Sheehan of HWH-Bunclody tries to plot a route past Naomhan Rossiter of St. Mary's (Rosslare)

HWH-Bunclody made it through to the last four of the Lodgewood Engineering Intermediate football championship by beating St. Mary's (Rosslare) in Bellefield in this quarter-final on Saturday, but really, the south county side will be wondering how they let this game slip through their grasp.

HWH-Bunclody 3-15 St.Mary's (Rosslare) 3-13 AET

They had rocked Bunclody with two goals in the opening two minutes and had a commanding eight-point lead with just twelve minutes to play, but they were caught at the death of normal time and then out-gunned in extra-time, thus making their championship exit.

Niall Walsh and Lee Devereux struck those early goals to give Rosslare such a dream start, and while Bunclody battled back hard, they never got closer than four points to their opponents throughout the first 30 minutes.

But then, in first-half injury time, Aidan Nolan struck for a goal that really gave them renewed hope, side-footing soccer-style to the net from a tight angle after first dispossessing Rosslare goalkeeper Stephen Cogley.

That left just two in it at the break (2-5 to 1-6), but hopes of a Bunclody comeback were seemingly dashed during a third quarter that saw Rosslare outscore their opponents by 1-4 to 0-1, with David Murphy accounting for three of those St. Mary's points and the goal coming from substitute Pete Carr within 60 seconds of coming onto the field.

Rosslare now led by eight (3-9 to 1-7) and there were 48 minutes gone before Darren Kehoe cut that to seven by knocking over a point for Bunclody. The same man stole in for a goal five minutes later and then followed up with another point to leave a goal between the sides at 3-9 to 2-9 - and that goal arrived back on 60 minutes as Colm Farrell floated in a long ball and Aidan Nolan rose above the goalkeeper to flick it to the Rosslare net and tie things up.

Rosslare still had a chance to win it but Tiarnan Rossiter was off target with a long-range free, and so the game went into extra-time. Aidan Nolan was still the main man for Bunclody during the first period as he scored all their three points (two from frees), while Rosslare replied with a Tiarnan Rossiter '45 and a Lee Devereux point.

There were no further scores in the first five minutes of the second period of extra-time, but then Bunclody struck two in a row through Darren and Barry Kehoe. That meant Rosslare were now the ones who needed a goal, but a point through Shay Boggan was all that came off it when Tiarnan Rossiter dropped in a long free.

There was still time for Bunclody to go back down the field after the kick-out to score another through Kevin Dunne, to confirm their place in the last four.

HWH-Bunclody: Paul Finn; Billy Kelly, John Atkinson, Enda Slevin; Páuric Sinnott, James Moorhead, Colm Farrell (0-1); Conor Kinsella, Aidan Nolan (2-5, 0-2 frees, 0-1 '45); Seán Kenny, Mark Sheehan, Niall Kelly (0-1); Eoin Kelly (0-1), Darren Kehoe (1-5, 0-2 frees), Kevin Dunne (0-1). Subs. - Barry Kehoe (0-1) for Sheehan (22), Martin O'Connor for N. Kelly (HT), John Dunne for Sinnott (46).

St. Mary's (Rosslare): Stephen Cogley; Gearóid Byrne, Emmet Byrne, Conor Murphy; Shane Sinnott (0-1), Naomhan Rossiter, Niall Walsh (1-0); Robert Butler, Shay Boggan (0-1); Larry Morrissey (0-1), Andrew Murphy, Tiarnan Rossiter (0-1 '45); Barry Quirke, David Murphy (0-5), Lee Devereux (1-3). Subs. - Pete Carr (1-0) for Boggan (46), Eamon Power for Morrissey (52), Seán Kelleher for Quirke (68), Shay Boggan for Butler (70), Larry Morrissey for A. Murphy (74).

Referee: Eddie O'Sullivan (Kilanerin).

Wexford People

Promoted Links

Most Read

Promoted Links