Sunday 18 August 2019

Bunclody see off the Hogues

Five points divide the sides

Steven Finn, HWH Bunclody, is challenged by John Kehoe, Ballyhogue
Steven Finn, HWH Bunclody, is challenged by John Kehoe, Ballyhogue

Una Sinnott

Five points stood in the way of victory on Saturday for Ballyhogue as they lost their Lodgewood Engineering Intermediate football championship Group A match. HWH-Bunclody were victorious during the encounter which was played at a breezy St. Patrick's Park.

Hwh-Bunclody 1-17 Ballyhogue 2-9

During the opening five minutes, Seán Ring and Noel Roche secured their names on the scoreboard for Ballyhogue, while Steven Finn and Darren Kehoe both split the posts on two separate occasions for the opposition.

Colm Farrell and Kehoe followed suit for Bunclody as they consistently edged their men ahead. Shane Doyle was left in command for Ballyhogue and secured a well-composed point to help his men stay focused.

The dangerous duo of Darren Kehoe and Colm Farrell enhanced Bunclody's lead as the pair of them floated a ball apiece over the crossbar.

Noel Roche retaliated through placed balls and James Parle suggested a cameback as his shot on goal deflected off the 'keeper and found the left-hand corner of the net.

Bunclody added two more points before the half-time whistle courtesy of Steven Finn reappeared and Kehoe who never failed standing over dead balls.

Ballyhogue free-taker, Noel Roche, re-commenced matters by splitting the posts. John Kehoe did likewise, leaving two points between the sides.

Darren Kehoe opted for another point but was then denied a goal after Ballyhogue number one, Myles Roche, made a tremendous cross-body save.

Kevin Dunne claimed another for his side, but things were getting tense in the Bunclody back line and it took John Atkinson to take the leading role and burst out of the defence with the ball firmly in his hands.

With proceedings level, Roche made the most of a crucial free and brought his Ballyhogue side slightly ahead. This, however, was shortlived.

Bunclody awoke within the final 15 minutes and Aidan Nolan, Seán Kenny, Colm Farrell and Darren Kehoe were the leaders in attack. Final efforts from Ballyhogue fell short with Bunclody's netminder, Paul Finn, quick on his feet. This left Bunclody with a five-point advantage after a close battle.

HWH-Bunclody: Paul Finn; Billy Kelly, John Atkinson, Matty Byrne; Steven Finn (0-2), Seán Kenny (0-1), Colm Farrell (1-2); James Moorhead, Aidan Nolan (0-1); Conor Kinsella, Keith O'Hara, Eoin Kelly; Niall Kelly, Darren Kehoe (0-8), Kevin Dunne (0-2). Subs. - Barry Kehoe (0-1) for N. Kelly, Mark Sheehan for O'Hara, Martin O'Connor for Byrne.

Ballyhogue: Myles Roche; Hughie O'Neill, Daniel Pim, James Parle (1-0); Tomás Moriarty, Shane Doyle (0-1), Arthur Dunne; Shane Byrne, Syl Byrne; John Kehoe (0-1), Eddie Galavan, Noel Roche (0-7, 6 frees); Liam Kelly, Seán Rochford, Seán Ring (1-0). Subs. - Denis Leacy for Ring.

Referee: Kevin Carty (Sarsfields).

Wexford People

Most Read