Monday 23 October 2017

Casey saves day

Oylegate-Glenbrien’s late leveller

Brendan Furlong

Dylan Lyne of Glynn-Barntown and Tom White (Oylegate-Glenbrien) in a determined battle for the ball
Dylan Lyne of Glynn-Barntown and Tom White (Oylegate-Glenbrien) in a determined battle for the ball
Cormac Rowe (Glynn-Barntown) and Jack Reck (Oylegate-Glenbrien) zone in on the ball in their drawn encounter in Killurin
Joe Dunne of Oylegate-Glenbrien attempts a hand pass under pressure from Ger Dempsey (Glynn-Barntown)
Oylegate-Glenbrien, who secured a late share of the spoils in their Wexford People MHC opener in Killurin on Sunday

Substitute Paudie Casey's goal two minutes into additional time salvaged a draw for Oylegate-Glenbrien, leaving Glynn-Barntown stunned following this excellent opening round Wexford People Minor hurling Premier championship game in Killurin on Sunday.

Glynn-Barntown 1-9 Oylegate-Glenbrien 1-9

With Oylegate-Glenbrien having led from the fifth minute right up to two minutes from the end, they were rocked right back on their heels, as a spell of Glynn-Barntown pressure yielded a Jack Brazzill goal one minute from the end.

That gave the home side a 1-9 to 0-9 lead, and they looked to have struck at the opportune stage with time running out on their opponents.

But there was still a huge intensity to the Oylegate-Glenbrien approach despite the lateness of this setback as they went in search of an equalising score straight from the puck-out.

Having had two attacks repulsed by the home defence as the game moved into additional time, they launched one final attempt with what was to be the last move of the game.

When Jack Reck was fouled some 40 metres from goal, he lobbed the ball from the resulting free into the danger zone, and lurking substitute Paudie Casey pounced to rifle a low shot past 'keeper Jamie O'Shea at his near post to give his side a deserved share of the points.

While Glynn-Barntown were strong in the air, this was somewhat neutralised by their opponents' ability to play the ball wide. And with centre-back Mike Kelly along with centre-forward Jack Reck particularly prominent, Oylegate-Glenbrien led by 0-3 to 0-1 after seven minutes, despite playing into the wind.

Reck struck his side's three points, two from frees, while Cormac Cooney had opening the scoring for the opposition.

Defences were very strong through this opening period, with Oylegate-Glenbrien managing just two further points through Reck and Cathal Doyle.

Jack Brazzill with two (one free), responded for the opposition, leaving the Enniscorthy District side leading by 0-5 to 0-3 at the interval.

However, defences were to remain defiant through the third quarter, at the end of which Oylegate-Glenbrien where ahead by 0-6 to 0-5, their solitary second-half score up to this coming from a 70-metre Mike Kelly free.

Ger Dempsey and Cormac Conney found the target for the home side, with scoring being particularly limited up to this stage of the game.

When Reck fired over two pointed frees his side looked comfortable, leading by 0-8 to 0-5 with eight minutes remaining.

But Glynn-Barntown now began to come more into the game with two neat points from Cormac Cooney. Two pointed frees from Ger Dempsey, as Reck managed a pointed free in between, left the sides level (0-9 each) with just over one minute to play. 

Realising they were back in the game with a real chance, Glynn-Barntown launched an attack down the right which ended with Jack Brazzill goaling from close in.

In a tense finish, substitute Casey turned out his side's hero with that late, late equalising goal.

Glynn-Barntown: Jamie O'Shea; Conor Graydon, Ger Dempsey (0-3, 2 frees), David Roche; Aaron Breen, Cormac Rowe, Conor Clarke; Dylan Lyne, Michael Curran; Shane Doyle, Matt Banville, Jack Brazzill (1-1, 0-1 free); Cormac Cooney (0-5), Shane Doyle, Adam O'Leary. Sub. - Philip Cowman for Shane Doyle (left half-forward).

Oylegate-Glenbrien: Kevin Cosgrave; Eoghan Herlihy, Niall Parker, Thomas Cosgrave; Peter Rowley, Mike Kelly (0-1 free), Gary Conroy; Tom White, Conor Nolan; Fiachra Hourihane, Jack Reck (0-7, 5 frees), Ryan Hill; Joe Dunne, Thomas O'Gorman, Cathal Doyle (0-1). Subs. - Michael Shiggins for O'Gorman, Paudie Casey (1-0) for Hill.

Referee: Mick Lanigan (Shelmaliers).

Wexford People