Friday 20 September 2019

Cathal strikes the key scores

Impressive Peter’s advance

The successful starting 15 for St. Peter's College on Friday
The successful starting 15 for St. Peter's College on Friday
Ben Moore of St. Peter's tumbles over Antaine O Cuinn

Brendan Furlong

Corner-forward Cathal Devereux led the way with six excellent points, five from play, as he inspired St. Peter's College to a hugely impressive four-point victory over Coláiste Eoin (Stillorgan) in this Top Oil Leinster Colleges Senior football 'A' championship second round at Power Park, Wexford, on Friday.

St. Peter's 1-9 Colaiste Eoin 0-8

On an excellent playing surface, the game opened at a lightning pace but amazingly the sides could only manage a point apiece during the opening ten minutes as both, particularly the visitors, were guilty of some wayward finishing.

Still, the football was fast and furious, with some excellent moves, while the fielding and kicking of both sides was excellent.

If Peter's had adopted a more direct approach towards goal they could have troubled what looked like a hesitant visitors' full-back line.

St. Peter's could have had a goal inside the opening 30 seconds. A sweeping move through the half-forward line saw the ball played inside to Cathal Devereux, but his stinging left-footed shot was turned away by 'keeper Tadgh O Braonáin, with the ball eventually ending up with Rory O'Connor who punched over the bar for the game's opening score.

It took some nine minutes for the visitors to get back level, with Seán O Giolláin responding with a fine point. Coláiste Eoin kicked four wides through this opening spell, while both Barry O'Connor and Rory O'Connor were just slightly wide with long-range point attempts.

St. Peter's struck back for points from Rory O'Connor and a fine Cathal Devereux effort, while Conchúr Cinnsealach responded for the opposition in between.

Then came the crucial breakthrough after 24 minutes when Kyle Firman, Barry O'Connor and Devereux combined to set up Rory O'Connor for a well-executed goal, which left the eventual winners leading by 1-4 to 0-3 at the interval.

After Tomás Mac Aodha and Devereux had shared early second-half points, two Mac Aodha pointed frees reduced the deficit to 1-5 to 0-5 at the end of the opening quarter.

Both sides were struggling for scores through this opening second-half stretch, with Peter's now beginning to find it more difficult to break down the opposing defence.

However, an excellent Cathal Devereux point restored his side's four-point advantage, giving them a huge lift following a period of pressure.

With Mac Aodha responding with two points, one free, along with a Diarmuid O Floinn effort, the minimum separated the sides (1-6 to 0-8) with two minutes remaining.

Peter's responded with a stirring finish that produced two huge Cathal Devereux points, one a magnificent left-footed 35-metre effort while marked by two defenders, and a free from 50 metres, along with a Barry O'Connor pointed 45-metre free to secure a deserved victory.

Coláiste Eoin were left to rue the kicking of nine wides, six in the opening half. It was a victory that Peter's richly deserved as they turned in some stirring individual displays and they now can look forward to the quarter-finals with a degree of confidence.

St. Peter's College: Richie Ryan (Glynn-Barntown); Michael Codd (St. Martin's), Ben Maddock (St. Martin's), David O'Keeffe (Taghmon-Camross); Quinn Saunders (Our Lady's Island), Conor Firman (St. Martin's), Fionn O'Driscoll (St. Anne's); Brian Deeny (Volunteers), Rory O'Connor (St. Martin's, 1-2); Aaron Breen (Glynn-Barntown), Ben Moore (St. Anne's), Dylan Furlong (Sarsfields); Kyle Firman (St. Martin's), Barry O'Connor (St. Martin's, 0-1 free), Cathal Devereux (Our Lady's Island, 0-6, 1 free). Sub. - David Gouldson (St. Mary's, Rosslare) for Breen.

Coláiste Eoin: Tadgh O Braonáin; Naoise O Cróinín, Peadar O Cofaigh-Broin; Rúairí O Gallachóir; Antaine O Cuinn, Mark O Treasaigh, Diarmuid O Floinn (0-1); Eoghan Mac Giolla Phádraig, Jack O hAirtnéada; Seán O Giolláin (0-1), Daniel O Laoghaire, Tomás Mac Aodha (0-5, 4 frees); Conchúr Cinnsealach (0-1), Daire de Poire, Eoghan Seoige. Sub. - Fionn O Ceallaigh for O Laoghaire.

Referee: Pat Kehoe (Carlow).

Wexford People