Sunday 20 October 2019

Clinical Martin's in a different league

Give goal haul rattles Glynn-Barntown

Jack O'Connor (St Martin's)
Jack O'Connor (St Martin's)
Ciarán Lyng (St Martin's) gives chase to Michael O'Regan
St Martins mentors Rory McCarthy, David Murphy, Tomás Codd, Rúairí Quigley and Philip Murphy who have guided their club to both Senior championship finals for the first time in the same year

Alan Aherne

Two clubs with a lot of momentum built up in both codes locked horns in the second Pettitt's Senior hurling championship semi-final in Innovate Wexford Park on Sunday, but Glynn-Barntown fell flat on their faces as St. Martin's crushed them with a display which underlined their vast potential.

St Martin's 5-13 Glynn-Barntown 0-13

It may have been the losers' third appearance at this stage on the trot, but the big prize must seem as far away as ever after this humiliating experience at the hands of a side they had beaten by three points in the group stages two months ago.

St. Martin's simply bossed the exchanges all over the field, with five of the forwards grabbing a goal apiece as they followed the example set by their footballers and advanced to the final. The club has never contested both deciders in the same year before, and the ease with which they brushed aside their Wexford District rivals wasn't anticipated by most neutrals.

Glynn-Barntown led just once, less than 80 seconds in when the impressive Michael Doyle - their only starting forward to score from play - grabbed a Mark Fanning free and fired over the first of his four points.

Rory O'Connor quickly levelled before Ciarán Lyng knocked over a free, and the game wasn't fully four minutes old when the saints struck for the first goal which put them on the road to success.

It came after Mark Maloney and Daithí Waters combined to pick out Paudie Kelly whose shot was saved by Fanning, but Waters had continued his run and forced the rebound over the line (1-2 to 0-1).

Glynn-Barntown relied on the accuracy of captain John Leacy to keep them in touch, with one of his first three points from play, but Lyng (free) and Joe O'Connor split the posts at the other end before goal number two arrived midway through the half.

This time Paudie Kelly fed Lyng with a low pass and, after gathering the ball and running at Cian Neville, he dummied a pass to his left before planting his shot out of Fanning's reach (2-4 to 0-4).

Although Michael Doyle responded with his second point, the porous Glynn-Barntown defence was breached yet again in the 22nd minute. Daithí Waters delivered the ball into space in the right corner, with Paudie Kelly using his pace to evade Barry Doyle from a standing start before squaring to Rory O'Connor whose piledriver widened the gap to 3-4 to 0-5.

And St. Martin's didn't show any mercy, outscoring their rivals by 0-5 to 0-2 from then up to half-time as Rory O'Connor, Ciarán Lyng (two), Jack O'Connor and Jake Firman emphasised their clear superiority.

Glynn-Barntown introduced one new face in defence at half-time and Barry Doyle was now marking Lyng, but their net was bulging again after 90 seconds. Lyng soloed clear and when his shot was stopped by Mark Fanning, the ball broke to Paudie Kelly who made no mistake (4-9 to 0-7).

That was that as far as everyone was concerned, including the leaders it seemed as they slackened off and didn't score again for twelve minutes. In that spell the hard-trying John Leacy hit four unanswered points, two from play, but St. Martin's got going again midway through the half as Lyng converted a free before Mark Maloney became their sixth attacker to register a score.

Michael Doyle and Lyng (free) swapped points before a bad day for the losers got even worse when Leacy was dismissed after offering his considered opinion to referee John Carton when a borderline overcarrying call went against him.

Scarcely 30 seconds later the ball was in the net again as Mark Maloney's first-time pull from just outside the 20-metre line beat Mark Fanning. And the vastly superior St. Martin's could even afford the luxury of a late missed penalty when Jack O'Connor blazed wide after a slap across substitute Seán Stafford.

St. Martin's: Luke White; Conor Firman, Patrick O'Connor, Daithí Hayes; Willie Devereux, Tomás Waters, Aaron Maddock; Jack O'Connor (0-2, 1 free), Joe O'Connor; Mark Maloney (1-1), Paudie Kelly (1-0), Rory O'Connor (1-2); Ciarán Lyng (capt., 1-7, 0-4 frees), Daithí Waters (1-0), Jake Firman (0-1). Subs. - Joe Coleman for D. Waters (50), Harry O'Connor for J. Firman (50), Seán Stafford for Lyng (55), Donal Kelly for Hayes (59).

Glynn-Barntown: Mark Fanning; Barry Doyle, Jack Fenlon, Cian Neville; Brendan Doyle, Michael O'Regan, Calum O'Shea; John Leacy (capt., 0-8, 5 frees), Rowan White; Craig Doyle (0-1 free), Alan Cowman, Matthew Joyce; Daire Barron, Michael Doyle (0-4), Fionn Cooney. Subs. - David Clarke for Neville (HT), Ian Moran for Cooney (35), Kevin Crean for Cowman (47), Pádraic Weafer for Barron (47).

Referee: John Carton (Monageer-Boolavogue).

Wexford People

Most Read