Tuesday 20 August 2019

Clongeen reach decider

Shane Bradley

Clongeen and Ballyhogue needed extra-time again to determine who would play St. James' in the All-County Football League Division 5 final when they met in Clongeen on Sunday.

Clongeen 2-18 Ballyhogue 4-10 (AET)

The sides could not be split one week earlier, and it took a last-minute goal in extra-time to settle the score here when Clongeen's Jamie Keating fisted home from close range.

Jamie O'Grady opened the scoring for Clongeen after two minutes just before Seán Rochford blazed over from close range. Jim Bob Levingstone pointed before Clongeen goalkeeper Ricky Rochford pulled down Seán Rochford for a Ballyhogue penalty, resulting in a black card for Rochford.

His replacement, Eric O'Grady, failed to stop Seán Ring's penalty which left Ballyhogue 1-2 to 0-1 ahead after ten minutes. Just two minutes later Ballyhogue got another goal as Jim Bob Levingstone's shot was saved by O'Grady but he tapped home the rebound.

Seán Ring added a fine point from long range before William McDonald hit two frees for the home side, and Jamie O'Grady reduced the arrears to six.

Ballyhogue midfielder Norman Carr added a point from distance, but Clongeen replied through William McDonald. Clongeen got their first goal when Jamesie Rochford played a fine pass to Jamie O'Grady who buried it, with a Norman Carr point leaving Ballyhogue ahead by 2-6 to 1-5 at half-time.

The home side started the second-half brightly with Jim Bennett adding two points before Jamie O'Grady reduced the gap to one.

Seán Ring pointed nicely on 40 minutes just before his spot kick rattled the crossbar. William McDonald added two points and the sides were now level (1-10 to 2-7) with 13 minutes remaining.

On 50 minutes Ballyhogue substitute Micheál Long played a defence-splitting pass to Tony Ryan which the wing-back slotted to the roof of the net. Clongeen's Stephen Bennett then added three frees to ensure extra-time.

Clongeen started brightly again with three quickfire points from substitutes Nigel Kehoe and Jamie Keating plus Jim Bennett. Nigel Kehoe pointed again before Seán Cash and a Norman Carr free kept Ballyhogue in touch.

The game twisted and turned again in the second period. Cash pointed for Ballyhogue and when Fionn Rochford fisted home a well-taken goal, it seemed to be the clincher.

Clongeen came back once again though, and Stephen Bennett added two frees to put one between the sides.

Then Jamie O'Grady and Shane Kilkenny linked to set up Jamie Keating who got to the ball before goalkeeper P.J. Kennedy, and he fisted to the net for the match-winner.

Clongeen: Ricky Rochford; Tom Donovan, Martin Reville, Donal Murphy; Stephen Bennett (0-4 frees), Anton Stafford, Martin Delaney; Nicky O'Sullivan, Shane Kilkenny; Jamesie Rochford, Jim Bennett (0-3), Leon Stafford; William McDonald (0-5, 2 frees), Jamie O'Grady (1-3), Paul Casey. Subs. - Eric O'Grady for Rochford, black card (9), Nigel Kehoe (0-2) for Delaney (46), Ger Foxe for Casey (52), Jamie Keating (1-1) for Donovan (54), Laurence Murphy for Rochford (61), Robert Farrell for L. Stafford (61), Peter Anthony Wall for O'Sullivan, inj. (65).

Ballyhogue: P.J. Kennedy; Conor Long, James Whelan, Denis Asple; Tony Ryan (1-0), James Parle, Jonathan Sullivan; Norman Carr (0-3, 1 free), Daniel Pim; John Kehoe, Seán Ring (1-2, 1-0 pen.), Cian Rogers; Seán Rochford (0-1), Fionn Rochford (1-0), Jim Bob Levingstone (1-2). Subs. - Micheál Long for Rogers (47), Seán Cash (0-2) for Sullivan, Kevin Ring for S. Rochford (61), Philip Walsh for Whelan (66).

Referee: George Dee (Taghmon-Camross).

Wexford People

Most Read